• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lucky anglers?

I try and play the percentages by fishing hard waters when conditions are good and easy waters when conditions are not so good and when a number of blanks start to line up, fish an easy water when conditions are good to get a few fish under my belt.

As I have mentioned on another thread, this year I have persevered with fishing for Barbel and Chub on the float only, I have not used my new Greys Barbel rods at all this season and all my fishing has been in daylight!
AND every fish has been caught on one of my pins
It has been the best fun, I have really enjoyed my fishing and I am considering doing the same again next year!
I am a firm believer that if you really enjoy something, you do it better!

I know I am a lucky angler, I have always said I much prefer to be lucky than good, mind you I have worked bloody hard at being lucky, you have to when you have the sort of limited skill that I have.
I have noticed that of my regular fishing mates Mike Wilson is also a lucky angler, probably because he is actually quite good at being an angler and over the last few years through practice and determination my friend Terry has become lucky, in fact as Mr Player said "The more he practices, the luckier he gets!!"

Been thinking (yes it did hurt) but why do some people consistently catch significantly more than others that seem to be fishing in similar ways?
I really feel for my mate, so often he's had a biteless day when I've had a fish or two and a few knocks. He's no idiot and we are fishing identical baits and methods but he's rapidly losing all confidence and I can't see any thing he's doing wrong. Is it that he's repelling fish or that I'm attracting them???
Just wondering why that may be, I know there are theories involving pheromones etc. but what do we think?

Pete

You need some luck, make your own luck, think about your fishing and confidence certainly plays its part. I know fellow anglers who do much better than me, because they move, try different baits etc, I tend to be lazy and this is reflected in catch rate.

Jim I agree , keep your luck on the move and you will catch , you won't get lucky more than once being a lazy angler ! Going out and finding the fish is a skill !

Afraid i have to disagree a little, I'm one of the laziest anglers you could ever meet, but i think its one of the main reasons i've been lucky enough to get attatched to a few good fish....

Sometimes you just know your in the rite place,you feel confident,
but maybe the fish arn't there 'yet'
well if your as lazy as me then they probably will be by the time you can be bothered to move!

I think the three main ingredients to consistent catching is, in this order.
Persistance.... Confidence .....Luck

Afraid i have to disagree a little, I'm one of the laziest anglers you could ever meet, but i think its one of the main reasons i've been lucky enough to get attatched to a few good fish....

Sometimes you just know your in the rite place,you feel confident,
but maybe the fish arn't there 'yet'
well if your as lazy as me then they probably will be by the time you can be bothered to move!

I think the three main ingredients to consistent catching is, in this order.
Persistance.... Confidence .....Luck

Please don't misinterpret what I'm going to relate, as I've already held my hands up to being lazy. Being lazy is fine, if you know the spots that you are in produce fish. I can see that persistence can pay off. If that swim stops producing then you need to try and make something happen. That's when the learning starts. I'll give you an example. A guy I know started barbel fishing this season. He stumbled on a spot that produced a lot of fish. The next time that I saw him he was fishing another swim, he was probing different areas looking for other swims. It is always tempting to go to the swim that we know. This guy is going to be a top class angler.

This season on my local river on an average session i have fished 6 or more swims, moving from one to another, spending maybe 30 minutes in each. My fishing friend on the other hand doesn't like roving around as much as i do, and will sit in one swim all day. He uses identical tactics and bait, but hasn't had as much " luck " this season. I have explained to him that he is not doing anything wrong regarding tackle and bait, but he needs to find the fish, as you can't always expect the fish to come to you.

Back