• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loose feeding , how do you do it ?

How do you introduce loose feed into a swim

• Feeder

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • PVA mesh

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Bait dropper

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Catapult

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Hand thrown

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • other.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
I was wondering what favoured methods we use for introducing freebies into a swim ?
I ask, because a friend refuses point blank to use feeders, I believe it is because feeders when snagged up and lost leave plastic or wire on the river bed to either rust or worse, contaminate the river with plastic particles over time, he will only use PVA mesh, or hand feed.
For myself I use several methods, each depending on the type of swim I am fishing ,and the bait I am using for example, a large river like the Trent using Pellets ,I always use a feeder to get a sufficient amount of bait into the swim, on a regular basis.
On a smaller more intimate river I would loose feed either by hand or cataplult, meat would only be a very few lumps every half dozen casts if the fish were feeding, otherwise it would be pre baiting a couple of different swims using lumps of meat by hand.On the same river if using Pellet I would go for the pva mesh bag attached to the sinker .

If I could find a slow paced swim I would use a bait dropper, most if my fishing is done in fast shallow moving water at distance, so bait droppers would be out of the question for me, and the feeder comes first with PVA a second option.

I have never bothered with stringing pellets on PVA string , dont know why , it is a method that doesnt really appeal for some reason.

David

Back