• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lockdown lifting

Paul Collins

Heard today from someone 'in the know' about last night.
I think it was Linear fisheries but I couldn't be certain.
Apparently cars started building up at the entrance before midnight, at one point there were a hundred vehicles queueing and causing a traffic hazard so the gates were opened. By 5.30 the venue was shut again as all swims were taken.
So glad I'm an all round angler and will be enjoying the deserted Hants Avon and Itchen until June 16th.

IMG_2903.PNG

Same at Bluebell lakes so I'm told.

It’s blooming stupid. If people aren’t careful we will end up facing this 3rd wave like the rest of Europe.
The whole idea was angling got a early pass because of its solitary nature. These lakes should do it via pre booked appointments to avoid carnage and people getting to close to one another. We are a long way off normality yet.
outdoor sports today on the whole has just gone from nothing to insane. 🤦‍♂️

Certainly should be regulated but it’s worth pointing out Europe’s third wave is driven by the Kent strain, it is in fact our second wave that has “washed up on the shore”.

Certainly should be regulated but it’s worth pointing out Europe’s third wave is driven by the Kent strain, it is in fact our second wave that has “washed up on the shore”.
Yes I’m aware it’s a uk strain in Europe but people are getting too jumpy now. Alot have had jab one, theyve been allowed out to play again and from the stroke of midnight it’s bumper to bumper thinking they are invincible.
doesn’t matter where the wave comes from the reality is only around 6% of the population is actually immune so its very possible the uk can take another hit. People need to slow it down and be sensible.

The "UK/Kent strain/variant" is, I'm convinced, only called that because we declared it. I wonder if it could have originated somewhere else and possibly brought here by air travellers, from a country who keep these things to themselves :)

Many of us old'uns who have played by the rules for so long, are fed up with 'the less careful' who think it won't happen to them, and now even more who think it's all over.

The "UK/Kent strain/variant" is, I'm convinced, only called that because we declared it. I wonder if it could have originated somewhere else and possibly brought here by air travellers, from a country who keep these things to themselves :)

Many of us old'uns who have played by the rules for so long, are fed up with 'the less careful' who think it won't happen to them, and now even more who think it's all over.
Highly likely. The UK has the one of the most advanced genome sequencing programmes in the world hence our boffins are able to identify the specific strains long before other countries are able to identify them. Naming it the 'Kent' strain is a bit daft really.

The weather has brought them and the fish out. I live less than 100 metres as the crow flies from Linear. I fish it once in a blue moon because I can walk there. I don't understand the attraction. I hate to imagine how many kilos of bait goes in everyday. Standlake lagoons had a lot more character until the owner ripped out all the trees.

Yes I’m aware it’s a uk strain in Europe but people are getting too jumpy now. Alot have had jab one, theyve been allowed out to play again and from the stroke of midnight it’s bumper to bumper thinking they are invincible.
doesn’t matter where the wave comes from the reality is only around 6% of the population is actually immune so its very possible the uk can take another hit. People need to slow it down and be sensible.
Where do you get your 6% is immune from Richard? Are you talking about natural immunity or vaccinated induced immunity?

Roughly 6% being vaccinated twice. Yes I know it’s not 100% but its as immune as we are going to get. Yes I know that people that have had it develop some sort of immunity but some get it more than once

I'm not sure 'immune" is the right term. My understanding is that people who have been vaccinated are less likely to have severe symptoms if they contract C19 and also able to infect others. So even more reason to act responsibly and prevent the spread even if they have had both shots

It was stated yesterday that over 50% of British people are thought to have antibodies to COVID now.
Do we have any idea how long these antibodies might last? Obviously it will vary with the individual, I think it was thought last year that they might only last a few months in some people.

Who knows Joe, not me. There was some suggestion that over 80s that have received only the first dose are seeing a reduction in antibodies but I’ve no idea on the accuracy or reliability of that information. Too early to tell but it does appear that the vaccine rollout has contributed to reduced transmission which is obviously key.
Personally my gut, which is in no form evidence based, feels we’ve another 3.5 years of this virus being a major factor in our lives. I don’t think we’re going to continue like this but I think masks and other minor parts of it will continue for some time.

Back