• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Locating River Roach

Matt White

Hi All

What areas of the river do roach prefer? After watching "Catching the Impossible" and seeing pictures of large roach in the angling press I think I am getting seduced by the lure of a large redfin!
Living in the North East I probably wont get to see anything huge but I would still like to see how big a roach I can catch.

Cheers

Matt

In my experience location is usually easier in the winter when they tend to shoal up in the same areas year after year. On my regular roach rivers (Hull and Yorkshire Derwent) they are usually in deeper, slacker water close to cover such as bridges, boats etc.

Yes, in winter keep moving, fishing all the likely looking spots (creases/eddies/deep gentle glides/snags) fishing for no more than 20 mins in each spot, if you haven't got a bite in 20 mins in winter then you arn't gonna get one. When you have located a shoal stay with it, but be carefull not to overfeed or feed badly causing fish to move away. If possible use a keep net.

(creases/eddies/deep gentle glides/snags

Very good, George. Plus bends, jetties & moored craft (big snags) and anywhere where a shallow fans out and the bottom drops down and the flow begins a nice smooth, not-breakneck glide. There'll at least be chub if there aren't any roach!

Back