• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lobworm Collection

Stephen Dixon

I've never collected my own lobworms before. Not bought any for some years and got a little shock when I looked online for a bag plus postage.
As a complete novice in lobworm hunting\collection can anyone give me a few pointers please?
Screenshot 2024-10-10 061653.jpg

Pick your evenings, damp and warm with a slight drizzle are the best. Get a torch with a red beam or cover a normal torch with a red film. Lobworms go back down their hole quickly with a white beam. Wear surgical type gloves, nothing worse than putting your hand in dog poop. Mark your lobworm and try to imagine where it goes into the ground. Place your left fore finger over the worm where it enters the ground and quickly grip the head with your right hand. Gentle pressure , gently pull and take your time or the worm will break. Place worm into an open container with a handle--like a small bucket filled with moss or grass. If you break any put them in another container or discard. Dead worms will kill off the others quickly. Scour the worms in moss for 3 days or put into a sealed bucket with fresh dirt. Like this method https://www.tenkarabum.com/scouring-your-worms-an-introduction.html

You can find a good local spot by looking for wormcasts on short grass - local park, cricket pitch etc. Tread very slowly& softly as the worms pick up vibrations & shoot back down their hole!
Be prepared to make your explanation clear to any local bobbies who come across a weirdo with a red torch & a bucket in the park at midnight.
Never thought about police 🤣

Pick a mild night after or during rain.
Don't go too early, a couple of hours after dark ideally.
Tread carefully.
Use as dim a light as you can, they scare under a straight beam.
When you see one , grab it as close to the hole and as quickly as possible.
Don't pull too hard or they'll break.
I put them in the fridge with strips of wet newspaper.
Not too many in a box, 15-20 max.
Check for dead worms regularly, especially day after collecting.

Back