• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loading braid on a multiplier

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
I'm going to do some lure fishing for pike this winter for the first time and have invested in a multiplier reel and braid. Never used either before, any do's or don'ts regarding loading the reel ? Also can anyone recommend good lures, have bought a selection already but no idea if they are going to do the job ?

Back it with mono first before you put the braid on,there's loads of lures,it's a minefield and can be an addiction,bought quite a few of mark Houghton on FB ,hand made lures at a great price too,he has a site too,Mark Houghton custom lures .

Hi Cliff,...I tend to spool on a few yards of mono to give the braid something to bite into, ...this isn't essential, but it can prevent the whole lot turning on the spool if pulling out of a snag.
Always wet the braid when spooling up,...this allows it to go on much tighter and will stop it bedding in when under tension. I also cris-cross the first 30 to 40 yards then load the rest as normal,...this also prevents the braid from bedding.
If you have a level wind on your reel you won't be able to achieve that unfortunately.
A number of fixed spool rules go out the window when loading multipliers, ie..don't overload the spool, and ensure line is well tensioned to prevent bedding in.
ATB Dave

Line ( braid ) slip on multis can be confused with the drag ,I have used multis for the past 30 years, so have more or less got them sussed. One of the best ways of preventing line slip, is to wind on a few inches of double sided sticky tape onto the spool spindle, then if you prefer , back the braid with mono. I never bother using backing, I just tie the braid onto the spindle with a Uni knot, and tightly wind on the braid until the spindle is completeley covered. This method is used by Tarpon anglers in the USA, so here in the UK we will have nothing to compare with those mighty warrior fish in the guise of Pike.

Backing with mono is perfectly acceptable, but make sure everything is wound on tight.As for spooling the braid,as already stated, put the braid spool in a bucket of water, then wind onto the multi through a bit of towelling or similar, it keeps the water splashes at bay, and beds the braid down niceley.

Keep everything tight is the key.

Dave

Get a "thingy" to take twist out of the braid, use a few times before each session.
Get another "thingy" to slide down the line if you get snagged on a river,changes angle of pull,works remarkable well.
Sure others can confirm name of items.

Not used a multi for spinning but use them for sea fishing for years. I always wet the braid and long cast out a few times with a heavy weight. My old friend Barney Wright told me to try this to stop "bird nests" with braid and i cuts down on the tangle 99%

Cliff, loads of lure info on other websites related to lure fishing if you're looking for advice. LAS, Pikers Pit are your best bet.
It's a slippery slope mind, this predator fishing malarkey so beware ;). With the Wye and Severn on your doorstep, I'm extremely jealous.

Hi gents one more question.... using 30lb braid and 20lb trace wire what happens when you get snagged and have to pull for a break ? Assume its the same method as usual but just pull harder ? sorry if it seems like a stupid question ? bit concerned about treble hooks flying in my direction !!

Depends what size lures you are chucking, reel size and stiffness of rod.
I would step up your trace and braid strength regardless Cliff. Those hooks won't bend out on too easily on 30lb braid/20lb trace unless you are chucking small lures and targeting jacks.
Better to ask than to find out the hard way.
If you want to make it hard for yourself, then I can teach you how to fish for them with the fly :)

Back