• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Liquid vs powder colours

I'm talking in general terms, like which would i use for corn/meat/prawns/pastes/boilies mixes. Are there guidelines like for more "wet baits" like say corn is it better to use liquids and for dryer baits, such as meat, powder ?

i'm thinking of dying sweetcorn brown myself, im going to try cc moores brown dry and wet it out in a bucket.

and what if your preparing some maize, would you add the colour during the soak, boil(probably not) or afterwards ?

I'm talking in general terms, like which would i use for corn/meat/prawns/pastes/boilies mixes. Are there guidelines like for more "wet baits" like say corn is it better to use liquids and for dryer baits, such as meat, powder ?

Hi Sam pop along to your local supermarket Sainsbury or Tesco and look where they sell cake ingredients and you will find little bottles of liquid food colour and its cheap

What I do with meat is just cut it up in to the sizes I want
Then pop it in to plastic bag and just put a few drops of food colour in to the bag .

Seal the bag and just give it a good shake and keep adding drops until the meat is well and truly covered .

I then put it in the freezer and you will find the freezing process helps draw the colour in to the meat .

It works just as well with sweet corn .
Just apply the same as the meat .

Cant comment on prawns never tried it .

Have used the same liquid food colour with paste and boilies .
Just add the colour to the eggs . A few drops are usally sufficent .

Hope that is of some help to you Sam

Sam - use powder dyes if you want to colour your baits. Liquid dyes if you want to colour your baits, hands, face, kitchen work tops, pets etc etc. :D

Sam - use powder dyes if you want to colour your baits. Liquid dyes if you want to colour your baits, hands, face, kitchen work tops, pets etc etc. :D

In that case i wish they did a powdered fake tan, i get covered in the stuff when my girlfriend uses it !!:D

Hi Sam pop along to your local supermarket Sainsbury or Tesco and look where they sell cake ingredients and you will find little bottles of liquid food colour and its cheap

What I do with meat is just cut it up in to the sizes I want
Then pop it in to plastic bag and just put a few drops of food colour in to the bag .

Seal the bag and just give it a good shake and keep adding drops until the meat is well and truly covered .

I then put it in the freezer and you will find the freezing process helps draw the colour in to the meat .

It works just as well with sweet corn .
Just apply the same as the meat .

Cant comment on prawns never tried it .

Have used the same liquid food colour with paste and boilies .
Just add the colour to the eggs . A few drops are usally sufficent .

Hope that is of some help to you Sam

It works on Prawns also Joe ;)

Just do the very same as you do with the meat or corn ie place in bag ,add the colour and bag it up ;)

Back