• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

line wrapping when using feeder

Simon Georgiou

ok bit embarrassed to have to ask this but....
when using cage feeders i find the hook length always ends up tangled around the mainline just above the feeder when using pellets, this does not seem to happen when using heavier bait such as a cube of meat on the hook
if i use the pear shape grippa weights then it almost never gets tangled
guess im doing something wrong in the rig setup?
I hair rig a pellet or two onto 8lb line then figure of eight swivel onto the main 12lb line heatshrinking the swivel on the hook length of the swivel, the top of the swivel has a bullet rubber stop slid over it and a run ring which is fitted with a swivel connecting the feeder to it which is covered in shrink also but still allows it to swivel if that makes sence
im wondering if its tangling up on the cast or when its moving along a bit with the flow

Hi Simon....I use a cage every time i river fish and use the patternoster setup with pellet on the hook. the only time it ever tangles is if the bait comes off the hair and even then you just pull the hook link and it will untangle itself.. if that's any help

Try feathering your line when casting bud, that may help your cause.

Hi Simon, I used to find the same, I now use a modified version of a helicopter rig and never get any tangles at all. To make it doubly safe, i always ensure that my hooklink is a fair bit lighter than my mainline.

Hope this helps and happy new year!

Chris

Simon,
As Gary say's above try a soft paste wrap to the pellet which will disolve or a small PVA bag...

Coated braid and a ESP rig boom pushed over the swivel on the hooklength.
Jobs a good un it kicks the hooklength away from the mainline when casting
Failing that like others have said whack a bit of paste on

Mark

thanks for the replies

seems from looking over them my shrink length on the hook length is not long enough, its set up as per the last post link but only covers the swivel and maybe 20mm down the line
just gotta wait for warmer weather to get back up to the wye to check it out:D

thanks again:)

Why use shrink tubing at all? I just use normal anti-tangle rig sleeves and find they do what it says on the tin. No messing around with kettles and easy to make a rig up on the bank.

I think the ones I usually buy are Korum ones, as above, or sometimes the Korda ones. They are about 40 or 50mm long. This is the blurb from the Korum website, key points highlighted in yellow:

Rig Sleeves
Long tapered sleeve makes for neat streamlined presentations and provides a boom effect that dramatically reduces hooklength tangles. Perfect for use with quickchange swivels, they can be trimmed to length if required. Also used in simple tangle-free feeder rigs.

Last edited:
im also using the run rings as per the link but having unlimited free supply of heatshrink from work i went down that route, found taking a big pan of water off the boil and just dipping the line in a few times shrinks the tubing nicely..all be it too short a length:eek:

personly i found the korum ones still too short when i was having the exact same problem, i use 5 or 6 foot hooklinks on the trent, solved the problem with about 6 inch of rig/silicolne tube. no need for expence either, £1.99 for 3 meters in my local shop. comes in various sizes so just find one that will grip onto your swivel and job done, although it may stand out like a sore thumb on small clear rivers but it doesn't put them off on the trent

If it becomes a serious problem tuck the hook and bait into the bottom of the feeder, it will then come out as the feeder empties giving you perfect presentation. It also makes casting long hooklengths easier as instead of having a 6' pendulum hanging below the feeder you only have a three foot length of doubled line. It is also a good ploy for fishing weedy swims as it drops the bait below the weed.

Simon, try LOOSELY tying your hook with light PVA string or tape to either your feeder or the mainline above the swivel, with hook link at full stretch with the latter option. Obviously you must tie it with a small loop effect so that the water can dissolve the PVA, as knots in PVA tend not to dissolve. It stops your link flying around and becoming tangled, and only takes seconds to release once you rig hits bottom, leaving it free and presenting well.

Cheers, Dave

If it becomes a serious problem tuck the hook and bait into the bottom of the feeder, it will then come out as the feeder empties giving you perfect presentation. It also makes casting long hooklengths easier as instead of having a 6' pendulum hanging below the feeder you only have a three foot length of doubled line. It is also a good ploy for fishing weedy swims as it drops the bait below the weed.

Been doing that for a while adrian on the trent and works a treat. I have also used some pva foam that worked also, another thing I do is feather the line while watching the rig through the air as long as the mainline is below the hook length then all should be well. Never bothered with tubing etc as it was too much faffing about and sometimes ended with others problems.

Last edited:
Bob roberts feeder booms, 100mm, simple, no tangles and change feeder, bomb or whatever on a simple clip! Sorted.
Leon

Last edited:
Back