• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line Twist... How to stop it??

Jamie Armitage

I'm filling two reels up with a bulk spool of good quality line but come the second reel I can't stop line twist!
Anybody got any tips for next time

cheers Jamie

Hi Jamie, when spooling up, i put the bulk spool in a bucket of water, thread the line backwards through the rod eyes, and then tie the end to the spool. :)

Make sure that the lines coming off the line spool from the correct end, one end will put a twist in every turn and the other won't. After say 6 handle turns check if the lines twisting, if it is turn the line spool over and away you go.
The best way to avoid line twist is to use a centerpin.
Braid is MUCH better than Nylon for avoiding twist.

Agree with Paul ( above ).

You need to ensure the line comes off the same way it loads onto the reel, how's your spatial awareness??

Never heard of the bucket of water but would seem to make sense, combining the 2 techniques sounds (almost) foolproof.......

Wind on the amount of line onto your spool. When you go fishing or on a nearby field, put your rod in a bankstick and walk the line out down the field, take hold of your rod, grip the line through a cloth and simply wind back onto your reel under the required tension. Any twists are simply wound out during the retrieve. Sounds long winded but its very simple and you can do it at anytime.

Another way to untwist line, if you don't have a spin doctor. Make up a small pva bag with about an ounce weight of stones in it. Tie it directly onto the end of your line. Cast out as far as you can and leave the line out for the pva bag to disolve and for a further ten minutes to untwist and then slowly wind back in. The line should untwist itself. Make take a few more casts but will eventually fully unwind.

Spin doctor does work well but I've often wondered if it's possible to unwind the line and then over wind it the other way.

Or perhaps I'm just over thinking things.....

Put the spool in a bowl of warm water ( i use quite hot water ), with the label on the spool facing up, weigh down the spool as it will float or keep bobbing over. Put line through a couple of eyes and use a damp towel or similar to run the line through, this gives a bit of tension and away you go. Works for me.

Back