• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line recomendations.

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi, I am needing to respool my reels, and was wondering what brand of mono is recommended for extremely snaggy rocky swims, I always use 15 lb as mainline but am a bit sceptical of some manufactureres abrasion resistance claims.

After a session on the Ribble yesterday I noticed that my line was starting to show signs of wear on the rocks, the reels have not been used much this season yet, and I cant remember the mono make, so am looking for something reliable.

Dave

I have used Gardner line on some very rocky areas of the Trent, and found it to be excellent. GR60 originally, then GT80 then moved to GT80+.

Been very happy and see no reason to consider changing.

GR60 clear in 12lb (0.35) which breaks at around 18lb or 16lb Pro-Clear (0.34) which breaks at around 20lb. Neither have let me down, both very abrasion resistant, I have no doubt the stronger 15lb and 20lb (respectively) varieties will be equally as good.

I know plenty of very good anglers who swear by Big Game.

Im always checking my line on the retrieve and replace it regularly when fishing the Trent, I never put more than around 60-65 yards on a time, any more is just wasted.

Last edited:
Used GT80 for years, then GT80+.
Had a spell where nobody seemed to be able to get hold of GT80+ and needed something there and then.

Fox Soft Steel camo in 16lb was a spur of the moment purchase, and 3 years on I'm still on it.
More than meets my requirements for the Wye and isn't as springy as GT80. Holds up well against bedrock ledges, boulders and submerged willows.
I see no reason to change...having said that, Fox will no doubt discontinue it now it's an established favourite of mine!

I may be wrong but I believe that in tests, no mono was found to be more abrasion resistant than Profish Ghostline. At 15lb bs the stated diameter is 0.33mm and I'd say it was fairly limp for a 15lb line. I had a problem 3 weeks ago, I changed to Ghostline ...and I've not had that problem since. Comes in 1000yds spools.

You are right Terry, Ghostline tested highest for abrasion resistance over all other lines a few years ago.The tests showed some well used lines were very poor

Thanks for the suggestions .. I am sure that all the lines mentioned would be more than adequate for my needs, I quite like the look of the Profish Ghost line, I do a lot of sea fishing as well, after reading about it on here I did a bit of looking around, and it seems that the Profish Ghost is well thought of by anglers fishing rough ground coastal marks, so I am thinking that is going to be my first port of call.
It has a reasonable thickness (or should that be thinness ) is quite cheap compared to some others, so it will double up as line for my Bass fishing as well.

Thanks again.

Dave

this year I have changed my line korda 12lb touchdown well impressed with it
My fishing pal decided to change from subline to touchdown and certainly wasn't impressed with it,having lost two good fish being snapped up due to less stretch.
Just a thought Steve.... Me, good old Gr60.

I was using Korda subline,no real issues with it,found the 12lb was rather thick,changed to wychwood DPF in 12 lb,very strong,sinks well and good abrasion resistance,really pleased with it,no issues .

Recently had a search on the net for a super tough abrasion resistant line and found Sufix Tritanium which gets excellent reviews from the sea fishing boys for abrasion resistance. My spool is on the way. Ghostline has issues with knots according to some. I currently use GR60 which is OK but I'm looking for something tougher.

Nick C

Used to use Ghostline for sea fishing and found it cheap and abrasion resistant. However, after revisiting it years later found it 'iffy' on knots and consistency - maybe changed over the years?
Sufix Tritanium - pretty much the same experience.
Gardner HydroTuff great line and they once did it in 8lb - not any longer - now starts off at 10lb and up. Still a very good line.
When I've used monofilament over the last 3 or so years, it's been Shimano Technium Invisitec. I also used other variations of Technium. The only real drawback is the expense, but has marginally lower diameter, sinks and lower stretch and seems to obey the usual add some extra pounds to the stated breaking strain when knotted with the appropriate knot.

Cheers
Bob

Berkley Connect CM70 - used this season, converted from Shimano Technium which although a great line didn't seem to last as long.

Re. knots ... only the years I've tried and used a plethora of knots, and whilst never having any problems with braid, at times I've had bother with monos and fluoros. That is : 'slippage' problems with the more 'slippy' monos, e.g. Silstar Match Team, and crimping problems at the hook eye. But this year I seem to have got it sorted.
1/. I got over the crimping problem by only ever going 'once through the eye'.
2/. I've gone back to 8-10 turn blood, tucked. I initially leave a long 'tag' end, tied a simple overhand knot in this and feed it down to within ~3mm of the eye, pulled it tight, then snip off the tag end above the overhand knot.
The overhand knot serves 2 purposes : it's a visual assurance that no slippage has taken place, and, if any slippage DID take place, it would (most likely) stop complete slippage/hook loss.
It's worked well so far anyways :)
ATVBA

Terry. Using powerpro as hooklink I always go through eye or swivel twice and use a tucked bloodknot to avoid slippage and strangulation. It works.

I am experimenting with superslick 8 powerpro in brown as much of the water I fish is gravel or rock.

As a mainline GT80 although Adrena line on another spool seems also good.

Terry. Using powerpro as hooklink I always go through eye or swivel twice and use a tucked bloodknot to avoid slippage and strangulation. It works.

I am experimenting with superslick 8 powerpro in brown as much of the water I fish is gravel or rock.

As a mainline GT80 although Adrena line on another spool seems also good.

Hi Gra, I know about the 'capstan effect' of twice through the eye but my concern was that one of the lengths of line that goes through the eye might lie over/on top of the other..and under tension would result in 'crimpage'. Plus, if the knot is right the capstan effect shouldn't be necessary (but then I always go through twice with braid :) )

Hi men,

If I was just fishing for barbel it would be GR60 all day long in green . I use touchdown in 15lb for my carp fishing , mainly as the lake I fish in France needed it , fishing locked up across to a snaggy area I had no problems with fish to upper 50's , and have had a few back in England with no issues . Like the idea of lower stretch , but the difference seems minimal and will change all back to GR60 when the line needs replacing .

Hatter

Back