• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line for Wallis Casting

George Maltby

Hi Guys,

I have just learnt how to wallis cast in the garden, I cannot believe how effective it is, and how easy it is to be accurate consistantly, knocks spots of a fixedspool at short range...however the line i am using isn't very good for it.
Was wondering what lines you guys recommend for the wallis as have got a speedia wide drum deluxe arriving soon.
How is fluorocarbon for wallis casting?

I stick with a good mono, George. Others like "bonded braid" (whatever that is) and other varieties of expensive string, but if you want your improving W.C.ing to continue apace with no hand lacerations and unnecessary fuss...

mono lovers : some like diawa sensor ,its ok does the job and is cheap ,an application of Mr sheen will help it float better .some prefer drennan floatfish/bayer perlon (now kamasson) both equally excellent floating lines .but if your centrepin is too be used mostly for ledgering then any old mono will do ,even fluorocarbon mainlines

personally i like ultima flo-cast (4-6lbs mainline) & ultima mist gray (1.7 - 4.2lbs mainlines) for trotting with where braid isn't allowed or i feel like going old school plus its relatively cheap off e-bay ,i do however use it in conjunction with mono hooklinks of unknown origins .for ledgering i use whatever line is free on the angling rags front covers (i do prefer clear lines though) i did once fit fluorocarbon on one of my centrepins and used it on the test for the roach at timsbury manor ,not sure now what empty line spool i put it back onto afterwards ,all these clear lines look alike ,but i do remember it didn't cast any better or worse than my other mono's .

i won't bore you with my main preferance for line on my pins being braid ,as you asked about mono's ,i hope this helps .

I use Maxima mono, and braid for bouncing meat around. Be careful if you are casting heavy weights as you can end up with a line cut when you spin the spool. Wear a finger stool for safety.

Hi George

Since you didn't mention specifically that you wanted mono, then I'll just say I use PowerPro braid on all of my c'pins for all of my fishing.

As I cast "off the side" sometimes, line-twist is a problem with mono, but not with braid, so I changed a few years ago.

paul4

I use powerpro for alot of my sea fishing...its excellent stuff but i do have worries with using it in my small river barbelling. Such as hit and hold swims (like the shock absorbing quals of mono/fluoro), and abrasion resistance (although i could use a rubbing leader).
I might give x-line a go or the old faithfull sensor or maxima.

Hi George,
i would not use braid on a centre pin for Wallis casting, you need the line to run through your fingers, using braid would almost certainly result in some nasty cuts, a good mono is what you should be using.
If you are casting pulling the line off the side, then mono would twist after a while, so braid should be used, if you use a finger protector or as a few lads do, they use a small piece of hook shaped metal to hold the line coming off the side.
good luck mate.
Brian.

I use powerpro for alot of my sea fishing...its excellent stuff but i do have worries with using it in my small river barbelling. Such as hit and hold swims (like the shock absorbing quals of mono/fluoro), and abrasion resistance (although i could use a rubbing leader).
I might give x-line a go or the old faithfull sensor or maxima.

with braid ,you rely on the flex in your rod (+hooklink if your using one) too act as shock absober .after all rods are designed to flex and bend .

Hi George,
i would not use braid on a centre pin for Wallis casting, you need the line to run through your fingers, using braid would almost certainly result in some nasty cuts, a good mono is what you should be using.
If you are casting pulling the line off the side, then mono would twist after a while, so braid should be used, if you use a finger protector or as a few lads do, they use a small piece of hook shaped metal to hold the line coming off the side.
good luck mate.
Brian.

i'll politely disagree on the braid giving cuts ,for two reasons ,one i've used braid for nigh on 10 years on my centrepins never cut me yet and cast with just about every type of cast known ,probably due too reason 2

reason two the braid isn't under enough tension while its being cast and flowing.so it gives no more friction than mono .and if thats too ruff on some peoples tender skin ......man up grow some calluses .

Last edited:
Thanks for that Paul ! I cast off the side and get terrible line twist, may get myself some braid now :)

Hi Sam

Obviously braid does twist too as it's a mechanical thing, but I've had the same braid on one of my c'pins for 4 seasons and the effects are negligible. I was never convinced about braid, but when my Maxima started breaking on me (bad batch or not I do not know); barbel were definitely getting bigger; I couldn't find a mono I liked - I spoke at length with Ray Walton and he convinced me to try braid. Didn't get the actual stuff he used I have to say, but have never looked back.

No cuts for me either :)

paul4

Hi Sam

Obviously braid does twist too as it's a mechanical thing, but I've had the same braid on one of my c'pins for 4 seasons and the effects are negligible. I was never convinced about braid, but when my Maxima started breaking on me (bad batch or not I do not know); barbel were definitely getting bigger; I couldn't find a mono I liked - I spoke at length with Ray Walton and he convinced me to try braid. Didn't get the actual stuff he used I have to say, but have never looked back.

No cuts for me either :)

paul4

I'll give it a go tonight :)

Thanks for the info guys...usefull stuff.
took delivery of that speedia today, after cleaning 40 years of grease and filth of it (and then adding some fresh) i have found it to be in perfect mechanical order, not even a hint of wobble and (although it doesn't prove much) spins for nearly 2 mins. The paint job is dog rough though...going to strip it, can't wait to put it into use.

Paul, that's the best piece of advice I've read on here in the last 12 months !! It was so much easier to cast as well in the first place. I found the mono caught round my finger a bit and ruined the cast but the braid flew off the reel ! Also I touch ledger, and the whole cliche of "feeling everything down the line" was true as well. Only had a splasher around 6lb but pleased non the less ! Thanks bud :)

Hi Steven,
i have been using braid for over 20 years and have never had a cut, what i am saying is, in my view, i would not use braid for a proper Wallis cast, for a proper Wallis cast, the hand that is not holding the rod will have to let let the line run through your fingers, if you want to use it, then go ahead, we all use our own methods that we are happy with, so good luck mate.
Brian.

Andy

I use 20lb. When I was demonstrating Wallis and c'pin casting at the BS Show a few years back I had someone call me an animal for using 20lb braid - albeit all of the rod/reels I was using had mono on them, I just kept one other with braid for anyone to try. It was not worth discussing so I just turned my back on him.

It's about balanced tackle. I used to use 1.25lb tc rods with 6lb mono, I now use 1.75lb tc rods with 20lb braid. I think both of these are balanced (for me).

I know several good barbel anglers who use 30lb PowerPro.

paul4

Back