• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

LHW /RHW centrepins

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Maybe I am a bit slow...

Just been reading Roberts classified advert re the Barbel Catcher centrepin.....then I looked on the Barbel Catcher centrepin website, but still cant fathom out..

How can a centrepin be just right hand wind ? They all wind both ways as far as I know.

Is it just that the line guard is not reversible ?

I have been using my centrepins for many years, and they can be used either way.

Dave

It can be due to the line guard. But the ratchet design also has a influence. As I believe a lot are set up for right hand wind. Which means unless you fish the line off the top of the reel when using it left handed the ratchet will be stronger when you reel in rather than when line is being taken off by a fish.

I suspect it's to do with the line guard, my Aerial Perfection has a mounting that is an integral part of the body and cannot be changed,..my Grice and Young ARS has two sets of tapped holes, front and rear on the body,.which makes it ambidextrous.
The position of ratchet and brake levers is offset on some reels.
I've just had a look at 3 pins and the simple ratchet finger is symmetrical which gives equal resistance in both directions. Same applies to the spline on the spool which have symmetrical teeth.
It's quite possible for a ratchet to be made to offer less resistance in one direction but not the case on mine it seems.
If over used, some ratchet mechanisms can ware ,...especially if yer getting lots of vicious barbel takes!:D

You can use it either way but Garry mills made it for me so the ratchet is easily accessible with the index finger other wise it would be behind my hand on a left hand wind centrepin.

Say most people are left hand wind. Reeling anti clockwise with the check on gives a lesser click than if you would the other way (right hand wind).
Other than that...not much in it.

I've got speedia pins where the ratchets are pretty much the same strength either way. Not sure many anglers play fish with ratchet on. I don't myself but every one to there own.

David , like Richard and others I just think it's the line guard . I am a left hooker [ burn him , burn him !] and never had any problems with using centre pins , essentially they are ambidextrous . Re the ratchets , they clearly wear over time and will develop a bias as it were, depending on which way the reel has been turned during use with the ratchet on

The replies thus far seem to have covered most things except that there are a few centrepins that do not lend themselves to lefties :). I have no experience of it but allegedly an Okuma Trent is one such beast due to it's drag system.

Apart from the issue of positioning of a ratchet mechanism with respect to the way you prefer to hold a rod/reel (my article, link below, covers this) I reckon you're good to go either left or right :)

Interesting answers.. I use my pins with the handles on the left side of the reel, I am right handed but that seems the right way to me, not that there is a right or wrong way . I also have the line coming off the reel edge that is nearest the rod, so when winding in I either " bat" the reel or wind it in clockwise using my left hand.

I agree that ratchets can be stronger with the reel fished in a different style, but I suspect that it makes little or no difference really, I engage the ratchet to stop the rod being dragged into the river by an over enthusiastic fish, if I have to leave the rod in the rest for any reason, otherwise it just doesnt get used.

Dave

Back