• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Learning to cast with centrepins.

R

Robert Woods

I had some fun with our mad cat in back garden today. I was trying to cast with a pin for first time using Paul Boote's advice on simple ledgering method. Cat was after lead especially when I reeled in...:D. But soon got crafty as she stayed where it landed. Tackle was 9ft Chub stalker rod with Corsti pin.

lol! I had the same thing ... but it was a robin rather than a cat :eek: I don't know what it thought it was, perhaps some kind of large insect. It didn't work out how to anticipate my target though, obviously not as bright as a cat.

It won't happen to you though, Robert, as the cat will have killed all the robins ;)

In the early to mid 1970s, living in gamefish-only West Wales (with an early October to early March Close Season to survive), I'd take one of my Doberman dogs onto the decent-sized lawn at the back of the farmhouse in which I was living, attach a short, stout stick to the 15lb mono spooled on the 3.75-inch Allcock Aerial (on a 10ft homebuilt hollow-glass spinning rod) that I often used for salmon baitfishing in season, threw the stick and ... FIGHT! Tremendous headshaking by the dog Dobe', longer runs by the b1tch.

I was still at school when I fished River Gowy in closed season. Warrington had stocked it with trout and you could fish with worms for them. I gathered some caddis grubs for hook and caught some nice roach & gudgeon and that's what a dog snaffled as I went to grab it :eek:. Learnt how to play a barbel as it ran across field howling...:D.I eventually landed and unhooked said dog, owner was relieved.

And no salmon or big sea-trout (or, several years later, mahseer) was a match for me after my intensive dog-fishing.

dunno mate, ive had a centrepin now for 12 months, spooled up, fixed to a rod, the lot & not used it yet. all im waiting for is a peg to just lower it in & wait for it to scream off.
one day i might put a chub/barbel float on it & try & use it 'properly'

It's worth having a go, Neil. I've been using my two Jets this season, using the Nottingham cast, and have had a few fish. Playing a fish on a 'pin is a different experience altogether. :)

i intend to soon, especially as my apetite has been wetted again with this thread. after all thats why i brought it really. BTW. it one of those marco contessi ones & they've had half decent reviews both on here & elsewhere.

I can cast a small lead or float rig pretty well after a LOT of practice in the field at the bottom of the garden!!!

But, I find that once you start putting too much weight (ledger weight) into the equation it becomes more difficult to cast so I will always try and bait up spots under the rod top....simply lowering the rig into place once the fish are "on"

Obviously this lends itself to smaller rivers but I have had some fish on this very close in line on the Lower Severn too :)

Paul

a lot of people have problems when casting a weight instead of a float ,as its all too easy too put a bit too much effort into the cast ,particularly with wally style casting ,all they're doing is giving the weight too much momentum ,which if your casting sideways (parallel to the ground) to lead/weight will overshoot the rod tip ,instead of swinging out and forwards it just swings around too the right and waywards .

to combat this as you swing the rod around from left to right ,as the rod reaches 90* extent the right arm slightly (practice will find your right level)

a better option though is to try casting with the tip lowered and swinging in a upwards diagonal swooping arc or better still a underarm cast or overhead cast

if i'm casting in excess of 2oz i prefer to overhead cast like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQYMz8En0bQ

but 2oz or less especially on small to medium rivers i underarm cast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhAP8DIS5A

sorry for the poor sound quality ,it was a bit breezy and i was using my normal camera in video mode ,and those damed stukas wouldn't leave me alone.i know i'm only using a 4xAAA float in the vids but the technique's the same

Last edited:
Back