• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lead core

Never used it for Barbel i think just by the nature of the river with sunken snags branches etc if you are unlucky enough to get broken up a fish towing a length of lead core will very soon get snagged and tethered so for me its a big no no.
I also stopped using it for carp fishing many years ago.

Definitely a no for me, I've never seen a "safe" rig using lead-core.

Heavy-metal putty if you need :)

Hi men ,

I had a dabble with it , but with any sort of flow it lifts up , and defeats the object . Some sort of weight up the line , back lead / double leading can work , but even then if you watch it in tap clear water which i have the two leads can end up alongside each other . The only way i got it working right was having the back lead heavier than the front lead , people who do drawing of rigs etc must in some cases do so how tgey hope it works rather than from experiance .

I use leadcore a fair bit where allowed , because iv seen the Korda no trace system work how it should , top bead pops off and tge hook length swivel drops off very easy .

Hatter

I don’t use lead-core for barbel but a helicopter rig with lead-core is one of the safest rigs there is (as long as there is nothing preventing the hook-link from sliding off the lead-core in the event of a break).

Maybe on a bigger river lead-core would be useful but I cannot see the need for it myself when barbelling.

Helicopter set ups are also good for eliminating tangles when fishing with ridiculously long hook-links.

I was thinking that if I wanted to use braid I could use a metre of lead core to protect it from any sharp rocks.
I have never done any carp fishing but I have also been looking at the helicopter rig for fishing on the Trent.

Last edited:
Wont go near it, how long would it have to be to prevent the fish coming into contact with the reel line? If its rocks you are worried about I would not be using braid at all no matter what leader is used.

I have been using braid as a mainline for years on the Trent as quite a few of is so. Not everyone's cuppa tea. Imo to use it straight through to the feeder is a no no. A leader every time. Be it a good leader material, amnesia or heavy mono. You will at some point get snagged up or come into contact with rocks etc. It also has some give too. I use 20lb black amnesia in a 6 foot length. I don't know too much about leader but what I do works etc.

I love the stuff for carp fishing. A few times over the years I have had a carp get into bushes that overhang. I have never had to pull for a break and not got the lead core back. It’s got great anti-tangle properties and is very robust. But I never use a hooklink stronger than the mainline or leader which is common sense, really. Never felt the need for it when on the rivers.

I’ve used it with a safe helicopter rig, flying back-lead and long fluorocarbon hook-links.........
It was a rig I had a lot of confidence in and it caught me a few decent fish.
Obviously the hook-length needs to be of a lower breaking strain than the mainline.
I haven’t used it on snaggy or rocky rivers, but I never felt that I was using an unsafe rig, in fact I’d go as far as to say that it was safer than using a standard ‘lead-clip’ type set up........

I have used it on both rivers and lakes previously but as others have mentioned stopped due to the safety concerns. The issue that bothered me was when the lead starts showing through potentially stopping the lead from coming off in the result of a break.

I now use 15 or 25lb fluorocarbon as a leader depending upon the situation.

Hi men,

I use the no trace bead system from Korda , for carp fishing . Iv seen a length of this leadcore system with about a foot of line where it had snapped , the bead had come off , and the fish had pulled the hooklength off , seems the safest way of using it . Still not convinced its got any major advantages for barbel tbough .

Hatter .

Back