• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

landing net

I've had mine ten years its had 5 frames and 6 nets. Still going strong... Lol.....

I now use a Korum latex barbel spoon net - they are a bit heavier but they are big, deep, dry quickly, and don't smell. Good for winter Pike fishing as well as the mesh won't rip.
Out of the four reviews of the Korum net on TackleUK, two complain of problems with spreader block:

Justin Garrett - Friday 11 January, 2013 [ 3 of 5 Stars! ]
"The problem with this net is the spreader block - the net itself is awesome and probably THE best for resting barbel in after capture but the really annoying thing is that you have no idea when, not if, the spreader block will fail on you.... real shame because if this was sorted it would be the best specimen net money can but for under £20.00!!"

Alan Jones - Saturday 31 July, 2010 [ 1 of 5 Stars! ]
"I bought this net last week and on my first outing while netting my second Barbel the arms became detached from the spreader block. I was fortunately fishing in shallow water and was able to trap the net with the fish in it and getting my feet wet retrieve the net and fish.
On examination the grub screw was loose and on further investigation the threads had stripped which allowed the arms to come out.
I was able to superglue the parts back together and with care landing fish get to the end of the day.
I have informed the manufacturer but todate have not received a response.
The latex net is very good although the fish seemed to spook when they saw it but that was probably due to the shallow clear water.
I would not recommend this product until modification to the spreader block has been carried out.
".

Conrad Farlow also complained on his blog about problems with two of these nets.

Agree with The last post have had an insight barbel net for 6 years been used and abused and still going strong :)z

I have a couple of nets, one folding triangle net around 24ins and a specimen spoon net by keenets, never had a problem with either of them! Except for forgetting them and having to trapse all the way back home!

I previously had the korum rubberised barbel net. It was a good size and the rubber mesh was good, just had to keep tightening the grub screw on the spreader block which I eventually rounded off. I have since replaced it with the new korum folding spoon net which I really like so far, although I haven't had it for that long.

Have been using an ABU 32'' folding spoon net for the past three seasons. Its perfect for resting Barbel, and folds down to fit into a Korum 5 rod quiver. A fishing buddy also uses one and neither of us have had any problems,..mainly used on the Wey and Hamp. Avon. As with most nets, it's always advisable to lift a fish out whilst holding the arms, ..a good net for less than 20 quid.
Dave T.

Had the abu folding net for years, then being the tart I am got the middy barbel net when it came out

If the abu was a fraction deeper it would be better. Solid alloy spreader block and thick fibreglass arms, pretty much bomb proof

The middy in my book is to deep, as has been mentioned in early posts, this can sometimes be a problem in flows and undergrowth , I do like the weighted net though, this helps it sink

Looked at the wychwood new folding net a couple of weeks ago, idea seems good, im just never sure with plastic spreader blocks, but did like the magnetic retainer thingy

Solid frame nets aren't for me, more trouble than what they are worth for transporting

Agree with you Stuart regarding solid frame nets,..total pain but often stronger. My ABU net is plenty deep enough,..are we talking about the same model ? There's a pic of it on John Levell's 'Avon Diary'..Avon Diary 2013 ,..click on 2012 and scroll down to Sept. 12th.
All the best Dave T.

As with most things nowadays Stuart, yours,..being older,..is probaly better,.I still rate my net as one of the the best I've had in recent years. Having been an engineer for the past 40 odd years it always seems easy to spot obvious design faults, but with folding spoon nets, there's always going to be a compromise I guess.
Tight lines ..Dave T.
PS,.. apols for the poor pic.,..can't seem to get the hang of this self timer lark!

Last edited:
Back