• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lamprey flavouring anyone?

Jon Kennard

Has anyone much experience in using lamprey as a flavouring to baits I was thinking in particular for using it on meat. I have fished lamprey for pike in the past and had them climbing the road on a small river. I saw Harris sportsmail are selling some. Appreciate your thoughts thanks Jon

Had lots of barbel and chub using Teme Severn Lamprey Flavour on red halibut pellets and boiles. Shame that Teme Severn stopped trading a few years ago. Other possible Lamprey variants/flavours/oils I don't know.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob it clearly is a flavour worth considering. The one I find is a respectable big pike company and gets good reviews. It says to spray and leave them use however I have a tendency to put in fridge over night or sometimes freeze. It's worth a punt I feel. I'll report back it colours the bait red to as well as flavour

I ran a trial with the Teme Severn stuff for a month or so, using 2 rods : one with, one without lamprey flavour. Found no advantage whatsoever. Bought 2 bottles of it, think I've still got 1.5 in back of my fridge (or in one of my freezers!) One thing I can say about it, for sure, is it bloody sticks! I've used monster crab on and off over the years, but that's not half as nasty-pongy as the lamprey stuff. IMO

If you want something that really persists (and I won't use it for that reason) try RH Secret Agent which seems to penetrate almost anything. Always done better with natural, low level or EO used as a label rather than high level/intense stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've bought a bottle I'll give it a go and see if it makes any difference. I'll probably use curry to. If I'm honest I got the curiosity as they used it in an article i kept from 10 years ago float fishing for barbel.

Neville Fickling caught barbel whilst pike fishing the Trent with Lamprey sections ,you never know it might be that special additive

Thanks Mark that was the confidence booster I was after ;) . I tell you what the pike were pulling me in when I fished it on the river culm. I had two doubles in 10 mins plus loads of smaller fish.

I also used the T7 lamprey boilies on the Teme around 8/9 years ago and did well with them. Whether I would have caught the same fish at the same time using another bait is a moot point, as I'll never know.

Back