• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ladypitt

Steven Walker

Hello all, I am a new member to this site and a new member of the Scunthorpe club. Most of my Barbel fishing has been on the Severn and the Wye but it’s a long haul from where I live in Suffolk. Can anyone advise me how to fish the Ladypitt section, what pegs, is it tidal? Any advice will be a great help.
Thanks Steve

Never fished it but know about. It's not tidal as the tidal weir is at Cromwell. The weir pool is the starter and right over to the shutterings where the flow is. Bottom part good on the float. You will catch and enjoy it.

Steve just checked that river and club that water looks great I'm sure that weir will be fantastic in the summer.

I was a member a few years ago. Barbel can be caught along the length below the weir but as said the weir pegs are best. Most of the fish were in the 4lb to 6lb range with my biggest being a 9lb fish over a 3 year span. I think its quantity more than size (or use to be). I once had 18 barbel in 6 hours but as I say all 4lb to 6lb. As also said eairler it does get very busy and some of the pegs are close together. I think its still day light fishing only and you must leave the fishery over night ( check rules on there web site).. I wouldnt be relying on the venue with such a distance to travel because if your not towards the front of the line at dawn you will struggle for a peg quite often. The club do have the meadow above the weir where barbel can be caught and are often bigger but no where near as many but pegs are easier to get so if there were no decent pegs on the stretch below the weir you could get above it .

I have fished there on and off for the past 18 months. Stephen's information is pretty much spot on. Most of the stretch is fast and shallow and barbel can be found all along. The bigger fish are usually in the weir pool but it is very popular. No night fishing allowed. You will hear about plenty of doubles being caught but most are not weighed. Enough said about that. My biggest was 10-14. Some great chub though to over 6lb.
The club also have Besthorpe on the tidal which is the opposite bank to the Barbel Society water. Night fishing is allowed here with an additional night permit. You were also allowed to drive along the bank but some idiots are trying their best to get this banned!
Hope this helps.

Back