• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lack of focus in fishing.

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
With the decline of local Bristol Avon I have found that I suffered a lack of focus with specimen angler bar a couple of seasons on the lower Severn. This could drag a few people down including a few of my fishing partners including one who mentioned last night he was thinking of taking a year out due to not enjoying himself. But myself I find following another course just simply enjoying going out whether it be a small feeder rod or on the float I've even taken to taking my dogs who literally have to be held back with every cast. But fishing in its simplest for of minimal tackle is simply a breath of fresh air. No hobbling of gates and stiles with tons of tackle and enjoying catching just about everything. I still love a good barbel session but feel it could be beneficial to a few more anglers to simply relax and fish like you were twelve years old again.

Can't agree more Clive. I was that idiot who had to buy a carp barrow to carry all the gear, and a big estate car to carry the carp barrow. I spent longer loading and unloading the car, than I did fishing.
Now one or two rods set up in a quiver, a very small Aldi bag and a small folding chair. I can be fishing in minutes and packed away just as quickly.
I have just had two short sessions on a local gravel pit. Didn't have a bite, but loved every minute, so relaxing.

I almost just packed it in years ago after chasing a particular target for ages, nothing else would do and I became a robot going through the motions, and not enjoying my angling, a friend advised to just go do something different which I did and my enthusiasm returned I was enjoying my angling again and it didn't matter what or how big the fish I caught were.

After catching my first Barbel about 20 years ago from the Bristol Avon, prior to Barbel fishing I was doing all of that feeder/ float fishing, and living in the Cotswold Water Parks I had arguably the best Tench fishing in the country on my door step.

But the Barbel really did it for me, as much as I enjoy the other stuff there is nothing really to compare with that slam round Barbel bite, and the ensuing manic scrap. But I am as keen as mustard to have a go at the Tench and anything else 'till the 16th comes along again, and then it's the long struggle, punctuated by the odd Barbel, and even more rarely a real lump.

However I only ever fish one rod, and travel really light, hate lugging gear around, so for me it's easy blanking .

I am amazed at all the gear some carry to the bank, not needed at all, trimming down will really free you up and make your sessions a lot more enjoyable.

I hung up my rods for five seasons, due to the collapse of the once prolific stocks of barbel in the Gt. Ouse. I went into a major sulk.. Then I weaned myself back, remembering the enjoyment and pleasure I had by just being by the water and taking in the environment. The roach and chub are still there, along with most other species. Though I've only fished above Bedford a few times.
I would like to have a serious bash at tench/rudd (as I once did) locally but, most of the quality and decent sized lakes have been stuffed with carp - and there's no real attraction there for me.

Getting bogged down with a single species, or individual water, invariably sees me getting disillusioned with fishing. Whilst I know that a scattergun approach to venues, methods and species undoubtedly sees a reduction in my results, I don't care. Variety is the spice of life. If any type of fishing, or a venue, shows the merest hint of becoming a chore, I back off and do something else for a while.

I carry very little for Barbel really, esp compared to most.
A single rod hold-all, with a landing net handle.
A backpack that my unhooking mat, net and bank sticks clip onto and a bucket, which holds my bait and a small selection of usefuls, forceps etc.
I sit on the bucket. In summer I will sit on the grass. If I’m not roving il take a chair, sometimes.
This allows me to walk long distances and hop from swim to swim. I can pack up and move within seconds of winding in.

My lure gear is hilarious. Essentially an overgrown bumbag which a folding Daiwa net clips to and the rod. If the venue required an unhooking mat that comes to. The rods only 6ft so there’s no need to park it up as I roam.

Fly fishing has reignited my passion, not that I ever really lost it mind, but the sheer simplicity of the tackle coupled with always being on the move is great.
Also makes me appreciate other disciplines as well, as it makes a refreshing change to just sit and relax sometimes.
Also getting more into lure fishing, which previously I never particularly liked.
That's the beauty of fishing for me, never gets boring as plenty of different aspects to try, can't ever see me getting hung up on one species again.

This, my total roving kit, is my solution to the 'problem'. I can be sorted and out in 10 mins :)
River gear.jpg

Getting bogged down with a single species, or individual water, invariably sees me getting disillusioned with fishing. Whilst I know that a scattergun approach to venues, methods and species undoubtedly sees a reduction in my results, I don't care. Variety is the spice of life. If any type of fishing, or a venue, shows the merest hint of becoming a chore, I back off and do something else for a while.
Exactly Chris.

Fishing like we did as children is the key and just enjoying it.
I fish single rod outfits, some with centerpins and some fixed spool, they range from carp stalking to silver fish float fishing and everything in between and I lure fish with heavy to ultralight tackle. I also have 2 and 3 rod outfits I use for longer sessions and overnights.
I learnt long ago, for me, the key to enjoying my fishing is to have variety which may be in using a centrepin or an old Mitchell, getting out a nice Harrison or just using a simple feeder rod, changing locations and species depending on the time of the year, weather and whatever whim takes my fancy.
Getting all excited about making my own floats and early tench and bream at the moment :)

Hi men

I now tend to fish for species due to the time i have . Last hour or two in the eve then i go jigging for perch . Any time around the middle of the day for an hour or so the float rod comes out for gudgeon/perch with sprayed red mags . Longer morning / evening sessions the carp call me , although the waters available to me are limited for them its still my fitst love . Im afraid Sues barbel waters have been deverstated and has all but given up . So its time of day and time available tgat really dictates where i go , but i still make cockups and end up with the wrong gear for the fish in front of me , with carp crashing while i have a dropshot rod in my hand :rolleyes: .

Hatter

Totally agree with Clive.
The highlight of my season was a day at Lacock on the feeder and float with bread and worms for bait. I had 7 different species and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Not sure a blank waiting for a barbel would have been as much fun.
Looking forward to a lake session on Wednesday where I can watch a waggled and hope that it sinks from view.

Agree Clive. Didn't even get out last season although got enthusiastic once or twice (at home!). Last session I had was with a 1.25 quiver rod, feeder and maggots.
Shame really - also selling some kit.
Might go down the Marina and fish for mullet or maybe not.
Cheers
Bob

I’ve probably fished less for barbel this past season than previous years and have enjoyed targeting other species such as winter chub, roach and perch. This reignited my fishing mojo as my previous tunnel vision for a barbel was becoming a bit boring,... same gear, same rigs much of the time with diminishing returns, often finding a repeat capture etc.
I prefer winter when the weed has died back allowing more trotting opportunities, but some of my favourite days during the past couple of years have been in summer and early autumn just going light, roving the more inaccessible stretches and rolling a bait through the weed.
I’m always trying to cut my gear down to enable continued access to those far away swims,... oh to be young again!
It’s fair to say that I’m spending as many hours either improving riverine habitat and angling access or just on the bank with camera as actually fishing, but have enjoyed it immensely.
I still love my clearwater barbel fishing and the company of some great mates .

I see this far to often people are barbel mad .Take your blinkers of and fish for other species. Last season I fished for eels barbel roach club and perch and loved it.

I see this far to often people are barbel mad .Take your blinkers of and fish for other species. Last season I fished for eels barbel roach club and perch and loved it.
It does what it sez on the tin Dean.:p..I also catch a load of Eels, not planned but I do, but agree with your sentiments and nothing like a big Roach imo.

Agree Clive. Didn't even get out last season although got enthusiastic once or twice (at home!). Last session I had was with a 1.25 quiver rod, feeder and maggots.
Shame really - also selling some kit.
Might go down the Marina and fish for mullet or maybe not.
Cheers
Bob
Come on Bob, need to find your Mojo, Wye is not too far from you.
Serious question you talk of Marina and Mullet, I was unaware that Mullet could be had from Avonmouth. :)

It all sounds like ;No more Barbel in my river blues so can't be bothered; And totally understand with the amount of time and effort i myself put in last season for little rewards, End of season i witnessed a Thames 20/9 an absolutely huge fish 3 swims along from a stretch I've fished for the last 5 seasons and always new it would happen, having lost some very big lumps in the past.Its really made me rethink about moving on to a different river or spend more time on different species or just stay with it and get back down there next season, There's a fish of a lifetime in there me thinks that should of been mine.

Back