• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Waterproof Bib'n'brace

Peter Robinson

Anyone have any experience of these.In the market for a lightweight bib'n'brace,but must be waterproof but not heavily padded.

Pete.

Very few tackle companies make waterproof items! Well to say that they make them but they are rarely waterproof!
You’re probably better of getting gear from outdoor pursuit type shops I’m sure there will be some good suggestions coming soon.

Last edited:
I've got the waterproof trousers. I think they're very good and no leaks so far. The B'n'B looks a good bit of kit to me.

I've got some ,had them a long time, they were the preston Dryfish 10,000 (preston & korum the same ) when i had them don't know if they still do them but i found them compleatly waterproof.

I think Clives comments are correct , the best chance of something remaining waterproof for a reasonable time is to go with high end and usually high price waterproofs designed for climbing , skiing , sailing etc . I have no experience of the Korum product . I have some Drennan series 7 salopettes which I have had for 2 years they have only let water in through the seat when I have sat on a wet surface the rest has remained waterproof . Musto gear has a very good reputation but it is eye wateringly expensive .The other thing to consider as well is how to clean so called waterproof / breathable products , do it wrong and they will leak like a sieve , the proofing stuff is not cheap either . You can get foul weather gear that is totally waterproof but not breathable so you will get very wet from the inside if you are moving / walking around to any extent .

Thanks for the replies everyone.No doubt like motorcycle clothing,you get what you pay for.I've got a Pro Logic suit that must be 6 years old and still going strong,but being lined the bib'n'brace is too hot for this time of the year.I'll check out the Korums and those by Wychwood,as that price range is all I can consider really.Maybe a can of tent proofer if I make the wrong decision:D
Thanks again.

Pete.

My summer overtrousers are a pair of olive green German army goretex things I picked up at a game fair for £20. They are perfect, they roll up to the size of a Rolled T-Shirt for packing and are completely wind and rain proof. in the winter I couple them with breathable long Johns and a fleece jogging bottom I've had for years, If I get cold wearing that lot I go home. They are the best bit of foul weather clothing I have ever owned.

Peter, if the budget is tight, it is still worth considering the cheap and cheerful plastic type waterproof trousers, which obviously are totally non breathable. As said, they are no good for walking in because of the sweat factor. However, if you carry these and only put them on over your normal pair when it's peeing down, and for sitting in, they are a reasonable compromise. There is nothing worse than sitting in a pool of water that has gathered on the seat of your chair in a downpour...and has got through to chill your vulnerable bits....

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I've got some ,had them a long time, they were the preston Dryfish 10,000 (preston & korum the same ) when i had them don't know if they still do them but i found them compleatly waterproof.
I have a Preston Dryfish suit, and it's been brilliant. It's a tough suit, I bash my way through bramble-infested undergroth, slither down steep muddy banks, and get caught out in terrential rainstorms. Being a Severn anglers, it's regularly coated in mud, and I have a habit of wiping my hands on it so it's covered in fish slime/groundbait residue/garlic spam grease! But the suit just shrugs off everything I throw at it! If the Korum suit is it's sister product, then it should definitely be worth a look.

The only downside (and its a big one for me) is that it's not fully windproof, which means you need something windproof underneath, very annoying. Also it's blue, which just doesn't look right for a vain barbel angler :p

As with any waterproofs, I reproof it every year or so by washing it in NikWax products.

I use the German army issue goretex bib'n'brace for motorcycling,and they're in their 7th year now.If I could get another unissued pair of those they'd be ideal,but haven't been able to track a pair down.
In the meantime I'm trying to decide between Korum,Wychwood and now ESP Supergrade salopettes have been thrown into the mix.By the time I make my mind up it will be winter,when my Prologics will be pressed back into service.
"I used to be decisive,but now I'm not so sure".:confused:....:D

Just thought I'd add that the Dryfish suit cost me about £160! But I don't have a lot faith in cheap waterproofs.

Andy, do you get away with washing your suit in the wife's washing machine (I mean, as in problems with detergent residue, rather than upsetting the missus)....or do you hand wash?

Cheers, Dave.

David, I don't have a wife so I can get away with anything :p

I have heard of residue probelms with Nikwax. I think it's to do with very hard water, especially with a top loading machine, but pretty rare. Personally, I've had no problems with it, and I live in a hard water area. I use TechWash to clean the suit, then wash it again in TX.Direct to proof it and restore the breathability. Works a treat :)

Edit: I always clean out the detergent dispenser drawer, and give the machine a full detergent-free cycle on super hot before washing my gear to avoid contaminants.

Note: If you have a down jacket, you'll need to wash it with Down Wash and dry it in a hot tumble dryer.

Last edited:
An update on the salopettes saga.In the end I decided to go for the ESP digital camo together with the jacket.Sadly no longer available in plain green.This was a budget buster,but was swayed by the spec of 25,000 hydrostatic head.It got its first outing on Wednesday on my first visit to the river Wye,much thanks to Danny Collins for the guest ticket.Around noon the heavens opened with a vengeance and gave this kit the severest of tests,with repeat performances over the next few hours.I remained completely dry and considered my money well spent.The breathability factor is 10,000,which certainly helped during the long hike with way too much gear,and I thought I was travelling light.
Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

Back