• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum tripod adapter. What you need to know

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
This product has intrigued me since the day I saw it advertised. It’s something that as a part time tripoder could really be a useful item for me.
I use a tripod for heavy flood water fishing so afew times a year and I’m doing an odd tidal Trent trip as well.
I like the idea that it utilizes storm poles which I’ve got plenty of and they are extremely strong things making a very strong tripod.
I’ll start with the good points.
It’s solid...... I mean really bloody solid. Nice and weighty and feels a proper well made thing.
it’s dead cheap at 15 quid. For that level of quality it’s practically give away.
it’s all quick release and locking and very nice.
E7289855-77EB-4A6F-B629-B560272F6D3D.jpeg
258EA5B6-E012-4C76-9618-63FA318BB95C.jpeg

let’s move on to the not so good......
A tripod for me has got to position my rods nice and high to keep line off the water in heavy flow.
looking at this picture Korum use to market the product it looks like it’s just the job ..... but something looks wrong and it wasn’t till I got my hands on one I could see what it was
923B1CFA-0EB3-48EF-BDBE-F9EAD0D86645.jpeg

The tripod adapter has two adjustment positions on the back thread. Here
CF532548-B399-44B5-AE25-D13D5611070B.jpeg

Look at the Korum picture again. They have it set up with the alarms pointing vertically which you’d never do in that situation. You want the alarms at 90° to your rods. You can’t set this up at 90° to your rods without additional adjustment so bear that in mind......... as a stand alone product it’s actually useless 🤣
DA715F16-83F9-43B6-8BD3-1B6CD5B25B88.jpeg

the left hand yellow line represents the angle and length the bank stick would be at with this product to be used with high rods at 90° to the buz bars. Now I’ve added a pair of Preston angled adapters to it which resolves the issue completely so in conclusion bare that in mind. Completely useless item for high rods unless you add something to angle the legs back. Like so
91971566-2D0B-4690-BA43-5B5EAD81CD97.jpeg

In this arrangement with 3 solid storms its a hell of solid tripod. Way more sturdy and robust than my Korum tripod.

so just bear in mind. Useless out the box.
excellent once you add leg angle adjustment.
hope that helps.

This product has intrigued me since the day I saw it advertised. It’s something that as a part time tripoder could really be a useful item for me.
I use a tripod for heavy flood water fishing so afew times a year and I’m doing an odd tidal Trent trip as well.
I like the idea that it utilizes storm poles which I’ve got plenty of and they are extremely strong things making a very strong tripod.
I’ll start with the good points.
It’s solid...... I mean really bloody solid. Nice and weighty and feels a proper well made thing.
it’s dead cheap at 15 quid. For that level of quality it’s practically give away.
it’s all quick release and locking and very nice. View attachment 14703View attachment 14704
let’s move on to the not so good......
A tripod for me has got to position my rods nice and high to keep line off the water in heavy flow.
looking at this picture Korum use to market the product it looks like it’s just the job ..... but something looks wrong and it wasn’t till I got my hands on one I could see what it was View attachment 14705
The tripod adapter has two adjustment positions on the back thread. Here View attachment 14706
Look at the Korum picture again. They have it set up with the alarms pointing vertically which you’d never do in that situation. You want the alarms at 90° to your rods. You can’t set this up at 90° to your rods without additional adjustment so bear that in mind......... as a stand alone product it’s actually useless 🤣
View attachment 14707
the left hand yellow line represents the angle and length the bank stick would be at with this product to be used with high rods at 90° to the buz bars. Now I’ve added a pair of Preston angled adapters to it which resolves the issue completely so in conclusion bare that in mind. Completely useless item for high rods unless you add something to angle the legs back. Like so View attachment 14708
In this arrangement with 3 solid storms its a hell of solid tripod. Way more sturdy and robust than my Korum tripod.

so just bear in mind. Useless out the box.
excellent once you add leg angle adjustment.
hope that helps.

Well thought out, I really like that arrangement!

No doubt I will try to get those parts soon - but France is poor for these things and Angling Direct so slow for delivery now. Not their fault, just Brexit stuff!!!!

Last order from AD took a month to arrive due to import checks. That's even with AD having a France website - their stuff still comes from Peterborough!

Great post Rich (as per), but just a thought ... why not put just add one angle adaptor to the thread that holds the buzz bar?
Excellent question Terry and I was waiting for an extra observant person to bring that up.
yes you can do that and it rectifys the problem to a degree. The issue is with the two front legs remaining fixed your storm poles will always be fixed at that angle which is such a massive angle. You can see in the korum picture it takes up a football fields worth of space infront of you. I know that wouldn’t fit in any of the swims on the nene syndicate I fish so for me bringing the legs in was the only solution.
down on one of the big sandy banks on the Trent, yes you could resolve the issue with an angled buz bar and use the adapter in a more upright position because you’ve got the space.

So fitted with small bank sticks at 1m fully extended it looks like this without leg angle adjustment. That’s a lot of bank space taken up and no where near high enough yet. I estimate you’ll need around 2m wide to get it in at a decent height
07BD359F-C880-438F-8671-84D71687670E.jpeg

Same size bank sticks with the addition of the leg adjustment it will be higher and take far less room. This is a great product if you make the thing work.
C566EAE5-565A-47DA-B07E-8825E67E7A44.jpeg

If I was designing it for Korum I’d do away with the 2 position adjustment on the back leg and fix that at 90° to the device. It doesn’t need that and it’s an unnecessary additional complexity to the design. I’d make the two front leg points adjustable instead. I’d also suggest an RRP of £25 because it would be worth that all day long. It’s so much more solid than my other Korum tripod which is also great btw and that cost me £60. At the moment it’s actually cost me £29. Those two Preston adapters that I’ve had a while are around 7quid each.
I don’t mind paying that though if it gets me the product that I need. And this does.

Great post Rich . . .I've been using storm poles (which are perfect in 95% of swims) but have been thinking about a tripod for random situations . . this will def same me the pain and ££! I already have 2x of those Preston offbox angle locks already which are excellent (for the occasions when an alarm makes sense on single sticks) - do I need a third to attach the buzz bar for ultimate flexibility?

PS> That weir photo is very familiar! Fished it on the last day of the season . . .dooo like a pair of Castizm's . .

Great post Rich . . .I've been using storm poles (which are perfect in 95% of swims) but have been thinking about a tripod for random situations . . this will def same me the pain and ££! I already have 2x of those Preston offbox angle locks already which are excellent (for the occasions when an alarm makes sense on single sticks) - do I need a third to attach the buzz bar for ultimate flexibility?
I don’t think a 3rd is necessary personally.
I think it might make the buzz bar wobble as well.

rich with your welding skills could you not weld some sort of metal loop at the bottom part of the back leg to attach a small bungee so the back leg can be pegged down... so it could be kept stable on hard or rocky ground .... i’ve had my korum tripod pulled over by a fish on the trent but i now always use a bungee and peg over the plastic block
image.jpg
where the double legs are at the bottom

rich with your welding skills could you not weld some sort of metal loop at the bottom part of the back leg to attach a small bungee so the back leg can be pegged down... so it could be kept stable on hard or rocky ground .... i’ve had my korum tripod pulled over by a fish on the trent but i now always use a bungee and peg over the plastic block View attachment 14728where the double legs are at the bottom
Personally I wouldn’t attempt to weld on that shit. If it’s anything like mine the powder coating is thicker than the aluminum itself.
however yes I’d be more than happy to put a pegging point on that for you mate but I’ll do it via another better way rather than risk damaging it with welding

Well thought out, I really like that arrangement!

No doubt I will try to get those parts soon - but France is poor for these things and Angling Direct so slow for delivery now. Not their fault, just Brexit stuff!!!!

Last order from AD took a month to arrive due to import checks. That's even with AD having a France website - their stuff still comes from Peterborough!
I think AD are just slow full stop. Still waiting for an order I placed on the 26th. Also placed on order with the Tackle Box on the same day and it arrived on the 29th.

rich with your welding skills could you not weld some sort of metal loop at the bottom part of the back leg to attach a small bungee so the back leg can be pegged down... so it could be kept stable on hard or rocky ground .... i’ve had my korum tripod pulled over by a fish on the trent but i now always use a bungee and peg over the plastic block View attachment 14728where the double legs are at the bottom

I wrap the bungee around the leg a few times, then peg it down. Just need to procure a Camo bungee........

IMG_2747 (2).JPG

It was a joke Richard. Everything seems to be camo'd these days, that's all.

Back