• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Barbel Rods?

Vince Maddock

All,

In desperation I've decided to go against my past habits and fish with 2 rods.
I don't want to spend £400 on a pair of hand built pieces of art so am looking at the Korum Barbel rods (the £50 ones).
They'll be used on the Swale, Tees & Ure mainly (small but fast flowing) so no extreme fishing or, sadly, huge fish.
Is anybody using them and what are they like? I'm also looking at the Fox EOS rods for similar money.

Thanks

I’ve had one for about 3 years now, used twice a week throughout June to November. It’s the 1.75 test curve, I’ve used it mostly on the Hants Avon and Dorset Stour but I’ve also used it on the Wye.
Objectively it’s not fallen apart and it’s tackled fish of over 14lb as well as being supple enough to land an 8 on a size 18 hook.
Clearly better rods exist, but it for its price point it’s pretty good. I’d buy another.

I’ve had one for about 3 years now, used twice a week throughout June to November. It’s the 1.75 test curve, I’ve used it mostly on the Hants Avon and Dorset Stour but I’ve also used it on the Wye.
Objectively it’s not fallen apart and it’s tackled fish of over 14lb as well as being supple enough to land an 8 on a size 18 hook.
Clearly better rods exist, but it for its price point it’s pretty good. I’d buy another.

Cheers Stephen, I've had a look at the 1.75 and the 2.0 in my local tackle shop and I have to say they look and feel very nice, far better than I expected at the very reasonable price.
I think I'm sold on them. Gonna be a couple of weeks 'till they're needed but unless a better bargain falls into my lap I think they're the ones for the job👍

All,

I don't want to spend £400 on a pair of hand built pieces of art so am looking at the Korum Barbel rods (the £50 ones).
They'll be used on the Swale, Tees & Ure mainly (small but fast flowing) so no extreme fishing or, sadly, huge fish.
Is anybody using them and what are they like? I'm also looking at the Fox EOS rods for similar money.

Thanks
Hello Vince.
I've used the Korum barbel twin tip with the 2.2 and 1.75 sections. They're great value for money and handle big feeders and barbel. I use it on the Trent. It will handle the fishing on your specified rivers no problem. A nice through action when playing barbel as well. Recommended. I've recently 'upgraded' to a pair of Harrison's, but I needn't have, it's just that I can't help being a tart. Still have and will use the Korum.

I've used all of the korum rods the latest ones are fairy decent for the money.

All,

Thanks
I haven't used that korum rod ,but if you can find a second hand korum neoteric they are very good rods for the money

Step dad has just treated himself to a couple of the new Korum barbel rods for the Swale. He’s gone 2lb TC. They feel really great rods. Lovely slim cork handles and slim light blanks. I don’t think you can go wrong for that sort of cash. Cracking range of rods.

All,

Thanks
After selling my korum opportunist rods which were good but not a barbel rod
I decided to go for 2 11ft 1.75lb tc korum barbel rods, and I have to be honest for the money.... well they are absolutely fantastic! They coped extremely well with a very very flooded river severn back in November. And they are more than capable of lobbing out decent size leads too. 👍🏻

Last edited:
I'll just add, my first ever season of barbel fishing and my only rods have been the Korum 12 foot 2lb barbel rods. They've fished everywhere I have from smaller parts of the Derwent to heavily flooded Wharfe, Ouse and even the Trent. They have helped me land over 100 barbel to over 13lb and quite honestly represent excellent value for money. I've had some great scraps and they have been well used. You can tell they are built to a budget, but this does not detract from what a superb rod they are ;)

Back