• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum 12ft Barbel rod

Colin Bridger

Some time ago I bought a new Korum 12ft 1.75 TC Barbel rod, and have had quite a few fish on it, however recently while playing a Barbel of about 6lb there was a loud bang and the top section snapped between the bottom two rings. Before I think about replacing it I want to ask if any one else has had problems with these rods.

Don't really know much about it, but the carbon in a fishing rod apparently weakens slightly over time when used frequently, especially bending at full load, I suppose it depends on the quality in the first place, ime sure there's guys on here that can explain.

Then the only thing I can think of is that the rod has taken a knock at some time creating a weak spot in the blank.

i'm not sure if t's helpful or connected but something similar happened to my korum cs feeder recently

i contacted form and they told me to contact angle direct where i bought it, AD have asked me to send it to them to take a look

Some time ago I bought a new Korum 12ft 1.75 TC Barbel rod, and have had quite a few fish on it, however recently while playing a Barbel of about 6lb there was a loud bang and the top section snapped between the bottom two rings. Before I think about replacing it I want to ask if any one else has had problems with these rods.

I had an original Neoteric 1.75 top break in exactly the same way.

An angler on our water had a similar thing happen. It snapped just above the joint. To be fair at the price they are not going to be doing rigorous quality control on every one and then there are the extrinsic factors like it getting a knock.

An angler on our water had a similar thing happen. It snapped just above the joint. To be fair at the price they are not going to be doing rigorous quality control on every one and then there are the extrinsic factors like it getting a knock.

It happens all too often with these rods, heard a few tales of similar. Sorry don't agree that it's a quality control problem, just a quality problem I reckon.

I've got a 2lb that I purely use for chucking baitdroppers. It's a strong rod and the blank seems ok, but I agree that quality isn't great, the reel attachment fitting broke on mine not long after having it.

It happens all too often with these rods, heard a few tales of similar. Sorry don't agree that it's a quality control problem, just a quality problem I reckon.

I was perhaps being polite about the product! I always believe it best that issues like this are dealt with direct with the manufacturer/retailer rather than discussed on social media.

At £50 and bearing in mind the retailer needs a profit as does the importer and the manufacturer the actual value of the goods is going to be pretty low.

I must be really kind to or lucky with my tackle as I just don’t seem to break stuff. It’s pretty rare. I have one of these in 1.75lb tc with no problems, in fact I quite like it. Which reminds me I need to fix my match rod as after nearly 20 years I broke an eye.

I was perhaps being polite about the product! I always believe it best that issues like this are dealt with direct with the manufacturer/retailer rather than discussed on social media.

At £50 and bearing in mind the retailer needs a profit as does the importer and the manufacturer the actual value of the goods is going to be pretty low.

I understand John, but if there is a common fault social media is a good place to flag up any problems, I understand about the effect this could have on Korum's profits, I really do. :) The good name Korum enjoy's with us Anglers is I would have though worth protecting, however a rod breaking so often it would seem, is something they need to address.

I had a couple of 2.2lb xperts and while they were very nice rods the last 12 inch's would easily snap. I dealt with korum directly and they were very good replacing the end sections 3 times. in the end I had no confidence in them as it was a design problem not quality control.

They got stolen... I pity the poor person that ended up with them

I've got a 2lb that I purely use for chucking baitdroppers. It's a strong rod and the blank seems ok, but I agree that quality isn't great, the reel attachment fitting broke on mine not long after having it.

Similar thing happened on my old Korum Neo. twin tip John. I considered it a reasonable budget barbel rod until the screw - down reel fitting parted company with the securing clamp. Put me off them and often wonder if I was unlucky or if it was a poor quality product.

John I tried for two weeks to get in touch with Prestons, but found their web site to be useless. None of my Emails were answered, I asked them if other users had had similar problems.

Back