• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse!

Did see this on this mornings news, they were pushing it a bit.What would i rather have Otters or cute Eastern European beaver on the bank,no contest.It seems a fact of life in this country we keep reintroducing species that have long since become extinct,where will it end,and who has the final say in whats brought back.

wolves bring it on

Did see this on this mornings news, they were pushing it a bit.What would i rather have Otters or cute Eastern European beaver on the bank,no contest.It seems a fact of life in this country we keep reintroducing species that have long since become extinct,where will it end,and who has the final say in whats brought back.

Wolves next ahwhoooooo!!!!!

Bring back Wolves I say.....there's more than enough Muntjack to feed them......
Would make evening sessions interesting......

Hi men ,

Have some people got nothing in their lives ?, do they wake up one morning and say " cant remember the last time i see a beaver ", then make it their aim in life ?. Should spend their time more productivly.

Hatter

Bring back Wolves I say.....there's more than enough Muntjack to feed them......
Would make evening sessions interesting......

Sure would, they could turn a blank into a howling success :D Problem is, it would be like the otter situation Mk.2. They would be starting something they couldn't control. Furry critters all over the show, eating stuff that keeps them going until that runs out....and then the problems start. But, by that time the nutters in Europe would have stepped in and declared them a 'fully protected' species :D:D. I know it's not likely to happen with wolves...but when you think about the madness that does come out of the devils spawn that run Europe, nothing is impossible :p

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

it was as you surmised a bit of tongue in cheek fun at the way things are done, like the inappropriate re-introduction of otters & beavers, but in places like the Highlands of Scotland the ecosystem would positively benefit from an apex predator to curtail the boom in numbers of red deer....
Like that will happen.....

Hi men ,

Have some people got nothing in their lives ?, do they wake up one morning and say " cant remember the last time i see a beaver ", then make it their aim in life ?. Should spend their time more productivly.

Hatter

Most men I would say Mark :p ( I'll get my coat )

We've all suffered from the stupid re introduction of Otters in some way shape or form, after all they weren't hunted to extinction just for fun.
Beavers, however, are not predators and certainly in America, for example, Beaver ponds are a much valued feature of river systems providing a rich and sheltered environment for the native fish and their offspring
There would obviously be problems where dams wouldn't fit in with the way we have 'managed' our rivers but I can't help but be amused by the thought that a massive Beaver dam near Lambeth bridge could result in the flooding of the Environment agency head office and the houses of parliament!!! That would be a moral dilemma for the sandal wearing tree huggers.

Paul, yes when otters were persecuted they were regarded as a threat to business or leisure interests of the people who fished and netted the relevant rivers and they took what they regarded as prompt appropriate action to preserve their interests. Not much different to today as they are a threat to our leisure interest and the business of the tackle trade but the attitude of the public has completely changed.

Where I live certain people habitually feed foxes and their cubs with scraps from the butcher because they are poor little cute things that need a helping hand in life and a nice meal. Because there is now a ready food source locally, one vixen tried unsuccessfully to dig four earths in my back garden but settled for digging under my neighbour's shed. You can imagine the trouble that caused.

The reintroduction of the Beaver is just a sample survey in the effects both positive and negative on the environment, perhaps we should just wait and see?

The reintroduction of the Beaver is just a sample survey in the effects both positive and negative on the environment, perhaps we should just wait and see?

Sound very reasonable to me Neil. My only concern would be the interpretation of the positive and negative's.

Stephen

I think the European Lynx is the next 1 due for re-introduction. Again lots of Muntjac , which are a pest, (but taste nice) to eat, might even take the odd otter on the travels as well as rats n rabbits. They would fit in but we might lose some small dogs, miniature breeds. Oh and Beaver cubs lol

But has anyone studied the effects of reintroducing an apex predator like the Lynx into a country that can no longer support them?! Bloody tree huggers etc etc.

Oh hold on, they won't affect my fishing. Carry on...

Well they will soon have to start replacing barbel. Even today we have lost the biggest fish in the country to an otter.
I feel sad for the lads fishing for it.

Mike

Mike, the EA have been pumping stock barbell from Calverton into our rivers for years. Tens of thousands, if not more, have gone in country wide. If the EA stopped stocking our rivers with fish of all types, it wouldn't be long before anglers would truly understand what a parlous state many of our rivers are in.

Cheers, Dave.

Back