• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Just looking for a little advice.

Danny Ash

Good evening everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I just thought id drop a post hoping to get a little info of the more experienced anglers! I gave river fishing a go last august after getting bored of carp fishing for the past 10/15 years. Having done about a dozen sessions on the river dove, I'm still yet to catch a barbel which was the target species for me, iv had a fair few chub to 4lb 11oz so I can't complain really. The first stretch I was fishing is a real jungle and hasn't seen another angler bar my old man for years, this is also a main factor in my struggle to estimate how much I should be feeding, due to this being a low pressure spot should I be feeding more to bring fish into the area in between sessions, or do I just fish hook baits with a little bag? is this somewhere where we should be focusing more time on fishing? Or should we be fishing the more popular stretches of the dove? Or would this area benefit in some prebaiting, to encourage the fish to visit this area? im also a member of Burton mutual who have a fair chunk of the dove which is a lot more pressured?
If possible either on this post or by PM where would you focus your time on fishing, I live in stoke and wonder weather I should be targeting the Trent or the dove? Also are there any clubs/venues that you recommend?
As you can probably see I am a little bit overwhelmed at the moment and not sure where to go/what to focus on.
Im really interested to see what you think about this and look forward to your responses,
thanks, Dan.

Hi Danny - I fish the stretches you're referring to a few times every season and, sadly, there seem to be fewer fish around. In answer to your first question and to add to Terry's point; find the fish first, then feed little. Bear in mind that other anglers will also be putting bait it. You can't catch a barbel that's too full to feed, after all. As to what areas; there are barbel througout the Burton stretch so targetting the popular areas (if you can still call them popular) won't give you a better chance of a fish. Keep at it - IMO you've just been very very unlucky!

The parts of the Trent on the Burton book can be just as hard, but definitely worth a look. Also there are other clubs with Dove stretches, e.g. SOTAS, that through up a few barbel.

Back