• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

John Wilson

Gary Noakes

I here John Wilson is retiring to Thailand
Such a childhood inspiration.
I hope he doesn't disappear from our screens completely.

Good luck to him indeed. Not sure it would be for me though. It's morbid I know, but I would like my last breathe to take place here, in England. It can be an utterly rubbish country of course but it will always be home. I have no doubt there would be aspects of a place such as Thailand that I would come to love (pension allowing), but I think there would be too much about England I would miss in my final years.

Views such as the attached for example.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 345
Right with you Howard........ Nice places to VISIT but home is where the heart is and mine is here..

Brian

About 8 years ago I spent 2 weeks in Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) predominantly fishing for Marlin, Tuna and Dorado. It was a stunning trip and I even met Cindy Crawford in the gym at the resort I was staying in. Caught some great fish too including a 300lb Marlin. Thought I was in paradise. And then I came home. It was very early Autumn I recall and I thought that going back to fishing the rivers would be utterly tedious compared to the drama of the Pacific Ocean. But when I ventured out I had a 3lb chub on bread flake first cast. And, that's when I realised just how right I was-it was boring as fuc*. And cold.

Just kidding, it was divine and felt right. It was good to be home and back in the comfort zone of a hard days fishing. I didn't catch a thing the rest of the day.

Seem to remember his brother Dave fished with him in Thailand on a program at a place called Palm tree lagoon.On the program John said his brother had emigrated there,so he has family already there,and the cost of living is cheap.

Seem to remember his brother Dave fished with him in Thailand on a program at a place called Palm tree lagoon.On the program John said his brother had emigrated there,so he has family already there,and the cost of living is cheap.

Spot on Mark,
i think you may find that his brother owns a fishery there, possibly the one you mention.
As an earlier poster said, a great place to visit but not so sure i'd like to stay all year.
Me? I love the seasons too much....:)

apparently he's been barbel fishing this week (his last barbel trip) with his nephew martin ,his swansong with a forth comming (October 15th ) special edition of Angling Times .

Thai

Must agree with you all . I left the UK for Sydney 12 years ago , but still miss the rivers in the UK so much . Funny, plus side is , learned to match fish here and use a pole , minus , its cheaper to live in the UK now then Sydney !

Same as most parts of life , you need to be away from something to make you understand what you have in front of you is not all that bad !

Good job he has a few bob as his State Pension will be frozen at the level when he moves there. A friend of mine tried it but lasted only five years and had to come home as the exchange rate and a static pension meant he couldn't afford lifes little luxuries such as fishing.

Good job he has a few bob as his State Pension will be frozen at the level when he moves there. A friend of mine tried it but lasted only five years and had to come home as the exchange rate and a static pension meant he couldn't afford lifes little luxuries such as fishing.

I don't think john needs to worry about money.

Dave have you moved house Matey?

Back