• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

It's all about balanced tackle.

Cats

What a terrific video. Them Spanish types sure know how to nail them. Not sure about the fish handling though, not enough respect shown for the monster pussies.

This thread was about lure fishing for cats, not how to control a rod with one's pussy.
yikes.gif

So not better, just different. neh

This thread was about lure fishing for cats, not how to control a rod with one's pussy.
yikes.gif

So not better, just different. neh

I meant the clarity of the water mate ! the float ghosting along just below the surface, the cat appearing full length alongside the boat etc, never noticed the pussy control bit :)

What a very fine pussy, wish I could catch one like that. What TC rod would you need and what bait would be required? Interestingly enough, red mono was used in both clips, can't remember who the manufacturer is/was, it was supposed to be invisible in water, but have never seen any reports in the UK of anyone using it.

What a very fine pussy, wish I could catch one like that. What TC rod would you need and what bait would be required? Interestingly enough, red mono was used in both clips, can't remember who the manufacturer is/was, it was supposed to be invisible in water, but have never seen any reports in the UK of anyone using it.

A mate of mine uses it for barbel, and does pretty well. I'm sure I read somewhere that it only becomes 'invisible' more than 12 feet below the surface. On that basis, it can't make any difference on the vast majority of UK rivers. Still, I guess the curious phenomena some call 'confidence' may provide the positive effect.

For pussies I hear a quick spray with Lynx is all that's needed. :)

You are on the right track Rich.

I keep reading about this red line thing, where people belive it becomes invisible in water :D:D:D:D

Being an ex diver, i like all other divers can't fail to observe the phenomena !

We see all things by means of light that is reflected off of whatever we ( or fish ) are looking at, light tavels in a very narrow band which by means of the prism effect, can be separated into it's separate spectrum colours.
I'm sure this you're all aware of from schooldays, and is why you see a rainbow, when each single droplet of rain acts as a prism.

However underwater all those little droplets are joined into one large mass which the removes the prism effect, however the mass of water does have the effect of absorbing light progressivly removing each colour of the spectrum as the water increases in depth.
what slighly confuses the issue is suspended matter within the water column which blocks the light, which is not quite the same thing.
That will though speed up the process by which light is absorbed simply because it's not allowing as much light through to any given depth.

The colours of the spectrum don't just dissapear at a certain depth, but are slowly degraded if thats the right word from the spectrum.
Red is the first colour where we notice this, so what will be seen is something that that is red if looking at it from underwater, now being a mixture of the remaining colours left in the spectrum, but with the colour red slowly being degraded, in effect turns the object ( line ) an ever increasing purple colour as the red is removed the colour being left being the mixture of the colours left in the spectrum.
As depth increases, the object will start to turn to whatever base it is made up from being shades of jet black through to white and everything in between.
So if water clarity is clear enough, at any given depth, something very dark red will look black, or at least very dark grey ( for it to actually be true black it would have to be true black at the surface ) The shade of the object will remain, even though the colour itself is removed eventually.
Something that was say Pink would end up looking grey what shade of grey would depend on the shade of pink in full natural light.
So a colour of say yellow in the same shade as pink at a depth where the spectrum of light is completly removed would both look an indistinguishable shade of grey, and you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

Eventually at a depth where all light from the spectrum is absorbed everything would look black and white, and all the shades of grey in between, nothing would be invisible that had colour to start with, apart from
the fact, that by the time you got to a depth where that occurs, there would be virtually no light at all, and you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway without an artificial light source, which would then illuminate everything back to it's original colours ! at least at close range, because the light will be absorped horizontally by the water as much as vertically, just like when you see images of the Titanic, where the light from a distance illuminates everything in a blueish hue, but close up you can see the colours of the red / brown rusticles.

So i hope that very oversimplified explanation is good enough !

Red line will certainly not 'dissapear' miraculously, and as Rich says in depths of water - ( clarity excepted ) will still be visible, albeit if deep enough, a more purplely colour, and anyone being taken in by the sale hype of a disapearing line will be getting ripped off ! ;)

In my opinion the least visible lines are those which are clear, ( if thats actually possible in the true sense with a line ) where the line will refract through it light which will cause the clear line to take on the general colour of whatever background is being viewed through it, if you get my drift ?

Getting back on subject.... i thought the young lady had very nicely balanced tackle :D

Ian.

I keep reading about this red line thing, where people belive it becomes invisible in water :D:D:D:D

Being an ex diver, i like all other divers can't fail to observe the phenomena !

We see all things by means of light that is reflected off of whatever we ( or fish ) are looking at, light tavels in a very narrow band which by means of the prism effect, can be separated into it's separate spectrum colours.
I'm sure this you're all aware of from schooldays, and is why you see a rainbow, when each single droplet of rain acts as a prism.

However underwater all those little droplets are joined into one large mass which the removes the prism effect, however the mass of water does have the effect of absorbing light progressivly removing each colour of the spectrum as the water increases in depth.
what slighly confuses the issue is suspended matter within the water column which blocks the light, which is not quite the same thing.
That will though speed up the process by which light is absorbed simply because it's not allowing as much light through to any given depth.

The colours of the spectrum don't just dissapear at a certain depth, but are slowly degraded if thats the right word from the spectrum.
Red is the first colour where we notice this, so what will be seen is something that that is red if looking at it from underwater, now being a mixture of the remaining colours left in the spectrum, but with the colour red slowly being degraded, in effect turns the object ( line ) an ever increasing purple colour as the red is removed the colour being left being the mixture of the colours left in the spectrum.
As depth increases, the object will start to turn to whatever base it is made up from being shades of jet black through to white and everything in between.
So if water clarity is clear enough, at any given depth, something very dark red will look black, or at least very dark grey ( for it to actually be true black it would have to be true black at the surface ) The shade of the object will remain, even though the colour itself is removed eventually.
Something that was say Pink would end up looking grey what shade of grey would depend on the shade of pink in full natural light.
So a colour of say yellow in the same shade as pink at a depth where the spectrum of light is completly removed would both look an indistinguishable shade of grey, and you wouldn't be able to tell which was which.

Eventually at a depth where all light from the spectrum is absorbed everything would look black and white, and all the shades of grey in between, nothing would be invisible that had colour to start with, apart from
the fact, that by the time you got to a depth where that occurs, there would be virtually no light at all, and you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway without an artificial light source, which would then illuminate everything back to it's original colours ! at least at close range, because the light will be absorped horizontally by the water as much as vertically, just like when you see images of the Titanic, where the light from a distance illuminates everything in a blueish hue, but close up you can see the colours of the red / brown rusticles.

Red line will certainly not 'dissapear' miraculously, and as Rich says in depths of water - ( clarity excepted ) will still be visible, albeit if deep enough, a more purplely colour, and anyone being taken in by the sale hype of a disapearing line will be getting ripped off ! ;)

In my opinion the least visible lines are those which are clear, ( if thats actually possible in the true sense with a line ) where the line will refract through it light which will cause the clear line to take on the general colour of whatever background is being viewed through it, if you get my drift ?

Getting back on subject.... i thought the young lady had very nicely balanced tackle :D

Ian.

Red line and probably Fibre optic line would have miraculously dissapeared in that first clip :D

The way her tackle was balanced on the butt of that rod was very nice anyway Ian :p

As for your 'Red line does NOT disappear in water' explanation, you could hardly have spelt it out better than that Ian....but I fear you are wasting your time. I bet if you had a pound for every time that old chestnut about 'disappearing line' has been pointed out as being the nonsense it is (by divers who actually know the facts).....you would have enough dosh for next seasons bait. Give it a month or so, you will have to explain it all again :D :D

Cheers, Dave.

Ian.

Is that a case of "well remembered Granty, ya nerd" or did you check on google? :D

Why did i know - a premonition if you like :rolleyes: that a post from you would be soon forthcoming Crooky ??

Back