• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Introduction

James Hinley

Evening all,

Just a quick post to introduce myself. I'm a keen all-round fisherman (as in i'm all round not great!) be it bass, tench, cod, pike or roach!! with a recently found love of barbel. I must start by saying i have not yet caught one, but this is the challenge that i commenced at the start of 2011 after witnessing a recent capture on the River Swale. I am a member of Stockton AC with stretches available on the Swale and Tees, so plenty to go at.

This is where you guys come in - this seems to be a brilliant site, very informative, well set out and with experienced members and i'm hoping to pick up some tips to help me. I recently fished the Swale at Morton Bridge casting across to some overhanging reeds where the flow looked good. A savage take on Luncheon meat didnt connect, but it had me shaking with excitement (although it was 5am in the dark and -4C so that may have caused it as well!). I'll be having plenty more trips in the near future, and will share my experiences as and when.

Cheers!

James

Last edited:
Welcome James , good to have another Northerner on board . It's getting a bit tetchy on some of the threads at the moment , but don't worry it's not normally like this , most of the folks on here are a friendly enough bunch . Good luck with your Swale barbel quest

Welcome James. Like you I am an all-rounder - coarse and sea largely. I found this site about four years ago and hadn't yet caught a barbel either. The main mistakes that I made when I started out were staying in one swim for a whole session - be prepared to move around. Also, I tended to always assume that the fish were on the other side of the river or in the middle somewhere - often they are under the nearside bank. Also, when using pellets it is often better to feed with a small amount, i.e. four or five, when arriving in a swim rather than handfuls. Having said that, it is horses for courses and there are many ways to approach rivers and much debate as to the best approaches. I would use the rivers section to glean some info from the guys in your local area.

Kind regards :)

Mike

Welcome James,

You will find quite a few of lads on here are all rounders...in fact quite a few of them are quite round...period :D:D

Seriously though, there are some great anglers on this forum, and a wealth of information to be had...I have learned a fair bit, that's for sure. So stick around, use the search button...and enjoy :)

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks guys. Mike/tom/david, one thing I've noticed is the wealth of info on local, northern rivers. I had an hour searching through last night and only scratched the surface! Other mike, thank you for t
he hints. I tend to travel lightly with rod, bag and net so this certainly suits me. I'm certainly focussed, I was dedicated to catching a northern bass last year on the plug and, eventually succeeded woth 4 beauties. I'll be going out this week again to try and tempt one of these barbels and if I blank, it tends to get my brain ticking over as to why and what I can change. Hopefully the chub will help me along the way as well! James

Back