• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Inline weights

Peter Brownbill

i use running leads for all my barbel fishing.Just wondered the advantages of inline stonze or leads,short or long hooklinks:D

I use running leads most of the time,one lead and usually a back lead, plus a 2ft hooklength.And it works for me, on barbel. It does not often work with chub ,and some of them are 7lb plus in some of the rivers i fish. If i start to get jaggy chub type bites and dropped takes i will try a couple of swan shots on a link.last week i got a few barbel pulls(a single solid pull, then dropped) on the swan shot rig,so after 2, i changed to an inline and short hooklength again 2 donks,no fish.Back to the lead plus back lead and long hooklength,two pull rounds and two good fish.I tend to change,what i am doing if its not converting bites to hooked fish,i do not change if its working.Hope this makes sense.I think it comes down to understanding you are missing chances,and then doing something about it.

Last edited:
Not too sure that there are any huge advantages in using an inline lead for barbel Peter. The perceived wisdom regarding inlines was that as the link left the lead in the rather unique way it does, then as the fish moved off with the bait/hook in it's mouth, there was a more direct contact with the weight of the lead when the link straightened, resulting in a more successful self hooking ratio. In my opinion, that effect is marginal at best.

There are several ways of setting inlines up, which obviously alters the way they perform. If you are using the type of rubber/plastic insert that allows you to pull the swivel firmly into the central bore in the nose of the lead, producing a virtually fixed lead, then you do of course have a bolt setup....and a short link (2" to 8") will then pretty well insure self hooking.

If you use the type of bore liner that leaves the swivel loose in that larger end bore, then you supposedly have a running rig situation. In my experience, the friction caused by that long bore means that in reality, it is still pretty much a 3' twitch type bolt rig :D Come to that, in situations where there is any noticeable chod on the bottom, then very few rigs of any sort are genuine free running rigs...certainly not guaranteed to run on each occasion. I have modified and adapted quality lined single leg rod rings (8/10mm dia) to use as running rig rings...and STILL had them bunging up and refusing to run occasionally, when used on choddy bottoms (though admittedly that was lake fishing).

One thing to be very careful about when using inlines (particularly heavy versions) is to do with the fact that the hook link exits the lead at centre front. Like any streamlined lead, inlines dive nose first straight towards the bottom as they hit the water...and in shallow or even moderately shallow water a hard bottom (such as gravel) can result in a hard contact. Because the link is wrapped around that nose end on impact...then obviously it can do some serious damage to that link. Admittedly, that is much more noticeable on a long cast, because of the increased speed the lead is traveling at on entry....but worth a thought whatever! The point is, you can set things up to achieve that same bolt style effect with any type of lead you wish to use, so there are safer ways of achieving that.

Give it a try, see what you think.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks David,good explanation.I was going to try out the inline stonze.Let you know nhow it goes thanks

Whilst i nearly always use a running rig i will occasionally use an inline lead with a Korda hooklink clip which enables me to detach my hook length , which i put bait on and then use a bait needle to thread my hooklink through a my PVA stocking.

I just use a Camo coffin lead free running,short or long hooklink, what works, keep it simple.

Personally i dont like inline leads for barbel and much prefer a run ring with a conventional lead for safety, yes before anyone does start you can still get your hooklink caught around an inline lead:)
oops please excuse the uppercase but too lazy to retype the post lol

Personally i dont like inline leads for barbel and much prefer a run ring with a conventional lead for safety, yes before anyone does start you can still get your hooklink caught around an inline lead:)
oops please excuse the uppercase but too lazy to retype the post lol

Agree John, I'm not keen even for carp fishing.

I use heavy inline leads almost exclusively for any carp/ barbel fishing over a clean hard bottom. ;)

The rig I use I have seen written about by Jan Porter and also I think Martin Bowler.

Take an inline lead and push out and discard the hard plastic insert, thread the lead onto the line/ leader and follow it with a soft tail rubber which I push over the hooklink swivel. The inline lead fits over the tail ribber and what that gives you is a bolt rig that becomes free running when the fish shakes its head. 100% safe as well. (Occasionally you need to insert a pair of scissors into the lead and give them a twist to ensure a snug fit on the tail rubber.

As for inline leads damaging the hooklink I have never experienced this. That said i never cast out without a PVA bag and feather it down.

Try them.....IMO they are far superior to a lead clip or running rig over a hard bottom.

Guy i have used plenty of em when carp/tench fishing over the past 40 years but personally dont like using em in a river mate, thats purely my own preference:)

I've never tried the inline method but I'm thinking of having a go with it. I've tied this up ,does anyone think I've over complicated things or is it looking about right. Cheers folks

Eddie if I had any comment it would be that In my opinion the hook length is too long.

As always though others may differ;)

Keith

Back