• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If you dont want to watch Spain v Iran .......... The river Teme.

Quality, gotta like a bit of Johnny....Mitchells, hops, a startled cameraman and............a barbel!
(footys paused while the kids go to bed)

He's on his way back to the uk but I don't know what he'll fish for because he predicted predation would finish river angling.

Hi men,

He is coming home to see more of his grandkids , and as lots of fishery owners abroard find out its not always living the dream .

Hatter

Got to love a bit of JW , got all his DVDS . He once said he was proud to have never owned a bivvy or bedchair ! ..

Perhaps his desire to return reflects his advancing years and poor health. It’s rather morbid I know, but when considering the emigration question, especially on entering the later phases of ones life, a vital consideration for me would be where do I want to die? It’s a profound contemplation that requires deep and honest reflection.

And for me the answer is always the same. Provided I’m being tended to by the entire Brazilian female beach volleyball team, I couldn’t care less.

Last edited:
My word! I haven't watched any of Wilson's stuff for years but that nostalgic theme tune takes me right back into my teenage years, much in the same way that the smell of scopex sweetcorn or honey yucatan boilies does.

I was really fortunate to spend a couple of days with JW at his lake in Thailand in December. He told me I was the penultimate guest and he was wrapping in the fishing guiding to chill out completely. No inkling that he was missing Blighty or planning to pack-up as he was in good form and good fettle. He's just done a great interview for Angling Direct that's on You-Tube that's worth a watch. It's a shame he's not a bit younger as I think he's what our sport needs and he might have had a chance of galvanizing all the different factions together and working to get us some protection from predation etc, which as most of you know he predicted (Nostradumus like!) many years ago.
Even non anglers know JW and I can't see there ever being a higher profile angler to the gen public due to modern media distribution. We might have had a chance with him in the vanguard.
Nevertheless great to see him back. A true legend.

He,s the one person, ( granted, not everyones cup of tea ), that made me want to go fishing, absolutely loved his TV shows, me and my late dad, would sit and roar with laughter, at John's hysterical laugh, as he latched into a fish. God bless you JW. You were my inspiration.

Hatter loved that I fully remember watching that episode and all the others multiple times. I was watching his top 20 catches the other week with my youngest and he now recognies jw voice :)

QUOTE="Mark Anderson, post: 217194, member: 22"]Hi

Good times ,

Hatte

Back