• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ideal spawning temperature

Paul Hayes

Hi Folks, long time no visit how is everyone.
Quick question what is considered the ideal water temperature for barbel to commence spawning. Although water levels are currently very low in this neck of the woods the cold nights have kept temperatures down and the water is still very cold.

15 degrees I’m sure I remember reading. Think carp like it about 20 in lakes but I’m assuming they will spawn in colder water on the rivers as well as there’s no guarantee the water will get that warm all year

The river Charente reached over 15C last week and the carp and barbel were noticeable by their absence. A couple of days later I was on a large lake and carp were thrashing in the margins. It was quite surprising as we have had over a week of mid teens daytime temperatures and sub zero overnight. This is the coldest April for 18years. It warmed up to mid-teens despite a northerly wind and that seemed to spur them on.

Normally I would expect the lake carp to spawn from the 1st week of May, the river carp locally slightly later, and the barbel towards the end of the month. Back home on the Dearne barbel usually spawned just before the season opened and chub just after.

No point even looking for spawning barbel on the Ouse these days. I used to be out there walking the banks and staring over bridges observing their cavorting, generally from the second week in May. Always was part of my barbel year.

La littérature scientifique nous dit que la température de frai du barbeau est de 13,5 ° C. D'après mes observations personnelles, lorsque la lumière est forte comme cette année, elle peut démarrer un peu plus tôt.

Oups....The scientific literature tells us that the spawning temperature of the barbel is 13.5°C. According to my personal observations, when the light is strong like this year, it can start a little earlier.

Back