• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hull and district pike venues

Matthew Thompson

Afternoon folks i am thinking of joining hull and district anglers and was on the hunt for info on which venue would be best for good pike im thinking the motorway pond as a start any other offers? Tia

From memory you get a lot of venues for the money including non- tidal River Hull which would be my preference
Motorway had some good fish but was hard and was always popular with carpers
Plus who want to sit next to the M62???
Brandesburton ponds always worth a go and last time I was up that way HDAA has spent £000s on otter fencing so once less thing to worry about
If I still lived local a ticket would be a . No- Brainer
Plus you have all the drains and canals and tidal Hull for free
Loads to go at

From memory you get a lot of venues for the money including non- tidal River Hull which would be my preference
Motorway had some good fish but was hard and was always popular with carpers
Plus who want to sit next to the M62???
Brandesburton ponds always worth a go and last time I was up that way HDAA has spent £000s on otter fencing so once less thing to worry about
If I still lived local a ticket would be a . No- Brainer
Plus you have all the drains and canals and tidal Hull for free
Loads to go at
Thanks for that👍🏻

I used to be a member, but find this club https://scunthorpeanglers.net/fisheries/ to be better value and more productive, plus there's plenty of the River Trent on the book as well. The River Ancholme around Brigg is an excellent predator venue along with the Warping Drain, neither of which are far from Hull, the canals also produce good pike especially the Aire & Calder around Pollington.

Hi Matthew,
I am a hdaa member but not a pike fisherman. There are good pike to be had from all Hull waters except the Brough complex. My mate regularly catches from Motorway. Hull keep there waters in fantastic condition, all are fenced, there is good parking and every swim has a large flat area which is maintained every year.
I only fish their still waters during the close season as I much prefer river fishing, but I still consider it great value for money.
Mike

Thanks but im travelling from whitby area, so hull is far enough away cheers
HDAA worth looking at as not a bad ride from Whitby to Brandesburton which isn’t too far from Driffield plus there used to be other day ticket pits like Farmers Pond , Billabong , Starr carr, green grass all adjacent to HDAA waters and the upper non-tidal at Hempholme , wilfholme and baswick
Going back a few years mind and aware seals and otters have been a problem on the Hull

There were quite a few barbel catches reported from the river Hull last year. Keep promising myself a visit.

Oh me too.. some of my happiest times every piking on the Hull this time of year back in the 90s
I should have one of those t-shirts printed " I woz there 🙂" - magical fishing
Barbel- I'll stick to the Swale for now- enough of a challenge.

HDAA worth looking at as not a bad ride from Whitby to Brandesburton which isn’t too far from Driffield plus there used to be other day ticket pits like Farmers Pond , Billabong , Starr carr, green grass all adjacent to HDAA waters and the upper non-tidal at Hempholme , wilfholme and baswick
Going back a few years mind and aware seals and otters have been a problem on the Hull
Error - should have read upper -tidal.

Afternoon folks i am thinking of joining hull and district anglers and was on the hunt for info on which venue would be best for good pike im thinking the motorway pond as a start any other offers? Tia
You may have seen it already but if you're considering getting it at least hold off till November as they are doing a 14 months for 12 deal, info/code on their FB page.
There were quite a few barbel catches reported from the river Hull last year. Keep promising myself a visit.
Not been able to fish it as much as usual myself and catch reports are well down compared to previous years. I've actually lost more to hookpulls than ive landed so far.. hoping winter brings better luck.

Hi Matthew,
I am a hdaa member but not a pike fisherman. There are good pike to be had from all Hull waters except the Brough complex. My mate regularly catches from Motorway. Hull keep there waters in fantastic condition, all are fenced, there is good parking and every swim has a large flat area which is maintained every year.
I only fish their still waters during the close season as I much prefer river fishing, but I still consider it great value for money.
Mike
Thanks mike, on the motorway pond now in search of 🐊

Back