• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How would you approach this stretch of river?

Anthony Pearson

Once the season's underway, I hope to fish a new stretch of river that contains Barbel to double figures. Here is the upstream view:

DSC01539edit.jpg

As can be seen, the steady flow leads to a section of broken water.....and here's the downstream view (my little piece of heaven):

DSC01538edit.jpg

This is currently only about a foot-and-a-half to two feet deep (although the river is below normal seasonal level as can be seen by the far-bank vegetation) and I am seeking opinions as to the best way to fish the water for the resident Barbel.

Middle left of the second picture..... looks like a deeper 'hole' next to a willow bush.
I'd be regularly dropping bait into there and see whats about.....

Depending on how thick the streamer weed is, I might also look to freeline some meat down between the streamer also........

Lastly I would also start introducing some feed in above the weed, where the bottom just starts to become visible, as the fish will probably move between the weed and the more open water.

Looks a cracking bit of water.

If you need anyone to net the fish for you...............

Steve

Upstream - first picture, up the top of the picture, RH bank a few feet out alongside the largest main tree.

Graham

if its that shallow get yer waders on and poke around with your wading stick searching for depressions ect, more the better if the weed is covering them too,the river looks great :)...j.w

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've made a note and will be trying them out. I lack the experience of fishing weedy stretches so have reservations about being able to land fish hooked in such spots. What advice can you give regarding this?

I am with Steve on this one middle left second picture. If you have problems placing your bait maybe a solid bag with the rig enclosed when there are no fish in the swim try to find hard gravel to place it on though. As for playing a fish in streamer I would never try to pull through it in an upstream direction just look for a likely landing spot downstream and when you have hooked a fish move down as the fish tires or just wade in after it.

The key thing when fishing in weed, especially ranunculous beds as in your picture ,is confidence. You have to boss the fish from the moment you hook it, set your drag as tight as you dare, and stay with it, no bottling out! If you let the fish get moving, it will more than likely head down and across river, via every weedbed and possible snag going, game over, unless you want to wade out and wreck the swim!!!
Try and fish with as short a line as possible to keep control, be prepared to leg-it downstream, below the fish if it manages to get moving, don,t forget your net!!!!
peter

What a great thread! Its good to hear the different approaches to the same swim. Us less experienced anglers can learn a lot from threads like this....theres too much talk of otters for my liking lately....

Update: I tried the stretch the other day and blanked on the Barbel front. However, I learnt more just sitting and watching during the last couple of hours of daylight.

I fished under the tree as suggested by Graham and had a belting knock (probably a Chub). I made the mistake of not checking the bait (I was using a hair-rigged halibut pellet) as I assumed it would still be OK and didn't want to disturb the swim. When I reeled in to pack away, the boilie stop was on the hair but nothing else.:(

I'd tried natural baits just above the broken water (where there is still weed that doesn't reach the surface) but managed only a small Chub.
What was fascinating was watching the Barbel repeatedly surface just above the broken water with tails and dorsals visible at times. Most of this was 3/4 of the way across the river which made trotting a float out of range, but one (or more) fish kept rippling the surface within about three feet of the nearside bank (big ripples). I intend to fish this particular spot on my next visit and use a natural bait such as a free-lined lobworm. The water is only about a foot deep and whilst I haven't actually seen the fish because the undergrowth is so deep I've seen the ripples when further upstream. I intend to gently lower the bait inbetween the streamer weed as I am going to have to keep it under a tight rein if hooked.

If you have any further advice, please feel free to make suggestions.

P.S. I hacked through some jungle above the big tree and found another super swim. I'd heard a big fish crashing in the vicinity and went to investigate. I'll post a photo next time I'm up there because I'm going to need help on that swim too..

Last edited:
Anthony, don't be in such a hurry to fish. Judging from your photographs the water is pretty clear, so introduce a few handfulls of hemp or pellets here and there in spots that you fancy and watch to see if the fish respond. You often don't have to bang a bait on top their their heads to catch barbel. Bait close in and let them come to you.

Anthony,
I'm with Graham on this one. It appears the water goes from a deeper hole to a shallower section. It's natural to draw fish upstream to you. They lie head into the current intercepting food as it flows downstream. They will more than likely swim upstream to find the source of the food. I'd be tempted to fish where the water shelves upwards and fish the deeper hole occassionally. (That's why Graham catches bigger fish than me). Consequently I would bait both lines.

PAUL

HI Paul, hope all is well and you are sorting those Trent Fish Out.

Anthony. With the high pressure, clear water and low flows the fish are happily staying in the weedbed certainly during the daylight.

Once the river has a bit of Fresh water in, the barbel will be more happy to explore and look for food.

If you fish the upper bit I suggested, once we get some water you will catch more over a period than if you drop straight into their holding area.

Graham

Just read this thread ,the way i would approach the swim would be on the quad as quickly as possible as to catch them by surprise !Then as fast as possible dismount behind the trees and spod in a gallon of hemp. Job sorted!

Back