• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How to avoid gastroenteritis/stomach bug

Simon Haggis

So I fished the loddon sat night and remember washing my hands off in the river.

Then I ate some food at some point and have been off work all week throwing up etc (hence posting on here at 2am).

The river will have had contaminated water what with all the snow melt and run off from fields.

So word of advice is get a little tube of that alcohol based handcleanser stuff you get in hospitals and before you eat wash your hands.

Like a dufus I work for the BMA and I have just the thing sitting on my desk at work. Always thought I should take it with me one day..

Cheers, Simon

It's a fair theory, but I don't think you can definitely hang your hat on the river as being the certain cause of your illness. Just one possibility.

Nothing wrong with the good advice though.

I had better tell my Dad, when we go to the Loddon, he fills his Kelly Kettle up from the River boils it and makes the tea, not had any problems and he is 84,

There was a thread on the old forum about the hand wash.
I always carry a little tube of the Carex hand gel.
Keeps my hands clean and helps with the smell but it also stops the skin splitting around the nails which apart from being painful can lead to other problems!!!!

Actually, having seen some of the discharges made into the Loddon, it's a very good idea.

Mind you, the older boys have a lot more tolerance to bugs, having lived through the dark ages and before being given antibiotics for every little cold.

Graham

Older Boy's:):):):)

You mean Mike Wilson don't you:eek::eek:

Famously survived the Black Death and Stalin’s purges!!

He must be immune, never boiled a kettle in his life!!:D

:D:D:D:D:D poor old Mike:D, if it worries you that much then a pair of thin latex gloves slipped on before touching food will keep you safe from germs,
these are really cheap around 10p a pair, there is a really nasty stomach bug going round at the moment produces the runs and vomiting and goes away after a couple of days, alcohol rub is the best type of sterilent, at least thats what we are taught;)....j.w

Albert its the 1% that gets you mate, best not catch any fish like me that way all risk is avoided.;)

I recently had to visit a hospital on a daily basis (my wife broke her ankle and then managed to catch MRSA, sorted now) I noticed that although the dispensers of Alcohol Gel were available and very well signed most of the visitors did not bother to use them, in fact I got so good at predicting which visitors would use the dispensers I achieved a 90%, +/- 5% variable accuracy on predicting who would use them.

My daughter was not anywhere near as accurate which annoyed her until I pointed out how I was doing it.

I simply assumed that all the white middle aged or elderly visitors would use the Gel!

Keith and Graham

You know my way of avoiding those nasty bugs. Drink neat Scotch or large Gin and Tonics. The Quinine in the tonic stops me getting malaria and the alcohol kills the bugs.
Anyway Keith still hasn't given me the recipe for tea!!

Keep well and watch out for Weils disease

Mike

They removed those alcohol hand cleaning dispensers from Shrewsbury hospital - people were mixing it with fruit juice and drinking them :eek:.

Yes they make a lovely cocktail:)

They removed those alcohol hand cleaning dispensers from Shrewsbury hospital - people were mixing it with fruit juice and drinking them :eek:.

Damn! They've caught on to principal constituent of Beauchamps Originals (666 Guineas from good wine merchants) Absinthe.

Please excuse me, but the drawing room appears to have just been invaded by a velociraptor (or is it an irate former paramour? ... same thing, I suppose...).

As ever,

Bertram Beecham, Chairman

Last edited:
A good way would be to avoid dipping your hands in the River Crane in West London. This is what it looks like at the moment - the EA have been informed and will be paying the river a visit shortly.

_MG_4405.jpg

_MG_4410.jpg

I remember when the Gade and The Colne looked like that!!

Bloody disgrace!!!

Nutrients or sewage or some sort of organic matter is obviously getting into the river from somewhere. And guess where it all ends up? A clue - the Crane is a tributary of the Th*m*s :(

Keiths right. Maple cross sewerage plant had this problem in the mid/late 60's which had serious problems for the Colne, Frays and lower Misbourne. Killed loads of fish. Heartbreaking at the time. The pollution went down to Thorney.
Very sad. You would think that 50 years later the wit of 'man' would have solved this but no.......the shareholders need their dividends and the water companies carry on polluting. I despair at this spineless government.

Mike

Cass

The problem the Gade had was from the cellulose fibres released from the [Dickenson] Paper mill during high water. The Crane looks very much the same however there isn't an upstream papermill so suggest this is 'recycled' [Andrex] paper causing the trouble.

Mike

Back