• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How often do you replenish your mainline?

Kevin Steele

Senior Member & Supporter
I'd be interested to know how often you replenish your mainline.

I'm guessing it depends upon where you fish and the nature of the bed - gravel being a big factor.

I was broken twice yesterday, for the first (and second) time since targeting big chub, and barbel - by what felt like big fish. Both breaks were above the terminal tackle. I'm confident it wasn't down to panic, lack of technique, or BS (12lb), so my guess is that weaknesses have developed over the last six or seven sessions... just waiting to bust.

I might now replace say 25m of my line after every session, until I strip off the lot and start again. Do you guys also cut back after each session and if so in what increments?

I also aim to buy another spare spool, purely for the purpose of 'reversing' the line, to use both ends.

Really annoying to think I've lost fish through negligence, but I think mainline wear and tear is the obvious cause.

I mostly fish with Centrepins using Drennan Camo XT in 15lb BS. As I only put around 40 meters on the pin, I think nothing of changing it every 2 or 3 sessions and especially if I've had a scrap with a few good fish!

On fixed spool reels, maybe every half dozen sessions and due to backing line, I'm only changing 50 to 60 ME each time, with Gardner Hydro Tuff in 12lb BS.

In short - only as often as I need to. As check it for imperfections as I reel in - not every cast but as and when I feel it needs to be checked.

I rarely put more than 100 yards on my barbel reels - the rest is just backing, so I don't stress about stripping some of it during, or all of it all off after a session if I feel I need to.

Very occasionally though despite taking all the precautions and diligently checking your line you can get a break that is hard to explain.

I mostly fish with Centrepins using Drennan Camo XT in 15lb BS. As I only put around 40 meters on the pin, I think nothing of changing it every 2 or 3 sessions and especially if I've had a scrap with a few good fish!

On fixed spool reels, maybe every half dozen sessions and due to backing line, I'm only changing 50 to 60 ME each time, with Gardner Hydro Tuff in 12lb BS.

How come the different line on the centrepin Neil?

Kevin, I’ve had 12lb gr60 and hydrotuff break on the Wye when I’m sure there’s been no pre-existing damage (pre casting out anyway). I’m pretty diligent with it but think sometimes it’s just one of those things.

Last edited:
Kevin had the rods been in your car for a few times for days at a time over the previous few weeks?

Not sure I understand, Graham, but I don't leave them in the car - and I never leave them 'made-up'... if that's what you're getting at?

I change my line after about every 4 sessions..lines cheap what's the point of driving 50 mile after work to risk a weak line breakage..belt n braces every thing as to be 100%...last thing you need a fish tethered up

I cut back any damage I can feel after every barbel caught
Simply wet the line so my fingers smoothly run up it and if if feel anything from a bump or nick or rough feeling in the line I’ll cut above it
Main lines on my reels are changed fully every closed season with a service.

Not sure I understand, Graham, but I don't leave them in the car - and I never leave them 'made-up'... if that's what you're getting at?
I had two breaks pulling on snags earlier this year, on far less than normal pressure.
Changed the line, bit realised the made up rods had been in my car for days on and off during the hot weather.

Put it down to the heat.

Been on Daiwa J Braid.40lb 0.23 for around 5 or more years, still going strong..obs use a 5 foot leader at all times....

If room and clear of bushes/debris etc I tend to walk off about 50ft or so of line with no end tackle on, before or after a session and wind back between fingers feeling for any damage, also helps remove any twist if you do it a few times. Any damaged line is removed. Usually replace whole spool once a season unless it’s got too low from doing above.

I'm guessing it depends upon where you fish and the nature of the bed - gravel being a big factor.

I was broken twice yesterday, for the first (and second) time since targeting big chub, and barbel - by what felt like big fish. Both breaks were above the terminal tackle. I'm confident it wasn't down to panic, lack of technique, or BS (12lb), so my guess is that weaknesses have developed over the last six or seven sessions... just waiting to bust.

I might now replace say 25m of my line after every session, until I strip off the lot and start again. Do you guys also cut back after each session and if so in what increments?

I also aim to buy another spare spool, purely for the purpose of 'reversing' the line, to use both ends.

Really annoying to think I've lost fish through negligence, but I think mainline wear and tear is the obvious cause.
Hi Kevin, I've been using fox 40lb camo braid for my barbel fishing for the last 4 yrs, I think I've saved 100s of pounds on leads and terminal tackle, and only ever lost 1 fish to a cut, not breakage, ie something like sharp metal..
Like yourself got frustrated with losing fish with tackle in, and terminal gear, pigtailed line from playing fish under the tip, line twist from baitrunners, etc etc etc.
Not a problem anymore, and the fight is more intense!.
Alot of people hark on about braided mainline damaging fish, mono does exactly the same.
And 90 percent are happily using braid hooklink up to 6ft.???
I won't go back to mono any time soon.
All the best.
Jim

Hi Kevin, I've been using fox 40lb camo braid for my barbel fishing for the last 4 yrs, I think I've saved 100s of pounds on leads and terminal tackle, and only ever lost 1 fish to a cut, not breakage, ie something like sharp metal..
Like yourself got frustrated with losing fish with tackle in, and terminal gear, pigtailed line from playing fish under the tip, line twist from baitrunners, etc etc etc.
Not a problem anymore, and the fight is more intense!.
Alot of people hark on about braided mainline damaging fish, mono does exactly the same.
And 90 percent are happily using braid hooklink up to 6ft.???
I won't go back to mono any time soon.
All the best.
Jim
Do you use a mono leader ?

How come the different line on the centrepin Neil?

Kevin, I’ve had 12lb gr60 and hydrotuff break on the Wye when I’m sure there’s been no pre-existing damage (pre casting out anyway). I’m pretty diligent with it but think sometimes it’s just one of those things.

I like Drennan Camo XT but the diameter is thin for the BS. Happy with it on the pin for close in work.

When chucking bigger leads or feeders across the river, I want something more robust, so go with Gardner Hydrotuff on the baitrunners.

Interesting stuff chaps. Can't see me changing to braid - I use it out of necessity on my 'nuisance pike' lure rod, but I don't like it. Gardner Hydro Tuff gets a lot of love, but regardless of make it's reassuring to know that breaks can, and do, happen to other people, sometimes for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I've taken about 10 metres off my spool - couldn't find any flat or rough spots above 2m, but just to be sure - and I've loaded more 12lb Hyper Sensor onto a spare spool. The bulk spools are inexpensive, so I'll be more vigilant in future. Another lesson learned.

Back