• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How often do you re-new Braid??

Paul S Murray

Just having a general 'spring clean and service' and was wondering if I should re-spool my reels with new braid and mono? The braid's been on for around 3 seasons, and the mono for two, any advice would be much appreciated...

Depends on the waters you fish i do mine every 6 months mate

Mainly fish the Kennet, only had a couple of dozen outins over the last couple of seasons, so not had a lot of use, just not too sure if the braid or line would deteriorate on the reel??

paul, like wayne says all depends what venues you fish
me i had braid for two seasons, but mono ,i would change every season, as a rule

Braid should last two or three seasons Paul and , because of it's limp nature, can be reversed, [wound onto another spool]. I would change mono at least once a season with regular use, maybe sooner,..can depend on line quality.

Thought I'd better add that it is not the fear of the line degrading that triggers me to respool, but the amount of damaged line that I have had to strip off.
Without turning this into another line debate,..as Wayne said , it depends on what waters you fish.

Nylon tends to degrade due to UV in daylight and it also does not like being repeatedly stretched that much e.g. when you have been in a snag.

I change mine at least twice a year and if I had any doubt at all would just replace it at any time to be safe. Better change it than lose a fish and leave it trailing line.

Nylon is so cheap it is not worth worrying about the cost and I don't think you need to spend a lot on so called premium brands. I came back to coarse fishing last season from a long break and was glad to find Diawa Sensor still available and still good quality. It comes on big spools as well. When I bought some last time the shop had just opened a delivery which is how you want it (or boxed) as most shops display it under their fluorescent lighting.

As previously stated conditions can dictate as well especially where the river bed is rocky.

Just having a general 'spring clean and service' and was wondering if I should re-spool my reels with new braid and mono? The braid's been on for around 3 seasons, and the mono for two, any advice would be much appreciated...

I replace my line when its worn out. I replace my rods when they snap and my waders when they leak.

I always spool about 130yds of braid and only change it when its getting short, ie when I cant chuck the required distanced. when the braid looks fraid etc and most braid users will know I just cut of a few yards until i find the good stuff. alternatively you can just turn it round, front to back...

You must be a tackle manufacturer's biggest nightmare Richard!:D

Dave,

Not really, over the years I must have purchased just about every useless piece of tackle that has ever been invented to catch anglers rather than fish. As an example I still use Fox Stratos reels and its hard to find a more fragile piece of angling equipment than that. I may be a tackle shops worst nightmare now, but believe me I've paid my dues.

I pretty much have seen the light now and my gear is more minimalist, and lighter, than its ever been. In fact I almost take a peverse pleasure in my gear being the least trendy on the bank, except for the Harrisons as one has to draw the line(?) somewhere.

Back