• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How long

Ben Jennings

Okay so now the new season is lost upon us, with my lack of time and fishing trips being limited to 4-5 hours I have no urge to go chasing the old mud pigs anymore in my local lake and fancy a spot of fishing one the river. I'm going to go for a fairly mobile approach bait a few spots first and then fish them. Now my question is how long should I give it per spot (roughly). I'm sure many moons ago I was told that when piking that if I didn't get a bite within 20 mins to move as there no fish in the spot. Didn't listen and caught plenty. However what sort of time would you say give per swim? I was thinking giving it 20-30 mins and if nothing move or is it better to wait it out a bit longer?

An impossible question Ben, even though the answer would be of huge value to everyone...or spoil it for everyone, depending on your point of view :D. The point is, it varies from river to river, from day to day, and depends on the conditions of the river on the day...and the days preceding that and those that follow.

It CAN be done with reasonable accuracy if you fish one area of one river for long enough...but that's about it. And I wouldn't put my shirt on it, even then :p

Cheers, Dave.

20-30mins is about right depending on the river Ben. You can't go wrong really with that cadence.

Cheers chaps after 14 years of sitting behind the rods I'm quite looking forward to roaming the river trying any spots that take my fancy.

The best Ben is when you stalk your prey. You can learn a lot from watching your quarry

It's always a bit of a dilemma when you've baited several swims. If you give each swim 30 minutes there is always in the back of your mind the possibility that the fish will be entering the swim as you leave it, unless you can see into the swim of course. A lot depends on the time you have available and how many swims you have baited but a carefully prepared and rested swim should produce a bite within 15 minutes if the fish are present.

Depends on all sort of factors, gut instinct that the fish will feed, any indication on the tip that tells you the fish are there, or the fact that is often my reason I am comfy and I cant be bothered to move.

But to move after assessing the swim has potential, and then not catch is a bit of a downer for me and I guess I might stay a bit too long

However if I do catch from a small river and the swim goes 'dead' I will be off.

In my limited experience I would say the mobile approach works better on smaller rivers where you will be targeting smaller groups of fish and going to find the fish rather than getting the fish to find you.

Other factors might need to be considered for instance a new piece of small backwater I am planning on fishing in the new season has very high banks so I think a little extra time to let the fish get over the disturbance of my approach might be needed.

My time limit on our water is an hour if there is no sign of fish but having said that I have been about to move when the tip has gone round!

David's answer really sums it up I always leave it up to intuition and experience. Some like to roam I like to rely on what I know and feel. Sometimes sitting for 5 minute's others for hours on end.

In the past I have pondered this very question....I came to the decision that on the river I roved (Lower Teme), I would regularly move and catch fairly frequently plenty of Barbel around the 5-7lb range but if I wanted a bigger specimen I would sit it out and wait - usually for 1 bite that was more often than not from a bigger fish.

Indeed, I have taken this thought so far as to move from swims that seem full of the smaller fish in search of the swim that contains the loner, where a very big bait left out until it gets taken was the method for me ;)

Horses for courses I guess....

....on trips over several baited spots in rotation, no more than 10 minutes was needed in each spot which was re-baited after each fish or blank visit and re-visited later in the day.

Paul

In my limited experience I would say the mobile approach works better on smaller rivers where you will be targeting smaller groups of fish and going to find the fish rather than getting the fish to find you.
The mobile approach works perfectly well on the River Severn so it's not just small rivers.

For what it's worth, my thoughts are that If you stay longer in a swim, you may well catch a fish you wouldn't have caught if you'd moved — in fact my pb came from staying longer in a swim that I'd intended. But if you move you may catch a fish in the next swim which you wouldn't have caught if you'd stayed longer in the previous one, if you see what I mean. So I will aim to move after 30 mins regardless.

Plus it's not about just about what's most effective, it's about enjoying being mobile and feeling you've covered a stretch and caught fish from different swims. And getting to know the stretch better, and catching from swims that nobody else fishes.

For me it's just about doing what you enjoy doing. There are times I enjoy getting comfy in a swim, other times I enjoy moving around, picking off a fish here and there.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy, in summer I'll move every 15 mins but sometimes your gut just tells you to stay longer, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't !

I think it really depends on the session and your intuition. I remember a session last season fishing with paste (that had been really successful) when something told me to change the bait. Next cast with meat and within 2 minutes I was playing a fish. Don't underestimate your sixth sense on anything fishy related.

I fish mainly small rivers and suspect where you are living you will probably be targeting the Kennet. I tend to rove and spend a maximum 20 minutes in any swim.I have total confidence in my bait and the pulling power of a pva bag. Sadly i use an egg timer in the pocket,and turn the dial on arrival at a swim.I used to set it to 15 minutes but found too many fish coming right on the limit or slightly later.The only time i will sit any longer will be if i have been donked (one solid thump on the tip)which usually tells me a barbel is in the area, picked up my bait and sussed me out,then i will change something to hopefully catch that fish.If i catch from a swim i put some more bait in and aim to fish 4 other swims before returning.

I will walk down to my swim baiting others on the way. I will then sit in my swim for about 45 mins. If I dont catch one in that time I will move back along the river to the swims I have baited. I have one 11pm swim I usually manage to wrinkle one out of!

Back