• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How long does your luggage last ?

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
So, when sorting my gear this morning , after an evening /night session on the river, She Who Must Be Obeyed was passing and casually said .
That Rucksack needs binning ...
I was a bit incredulous, OK, it has a few repairs, the lining is torn, repaired and torn again, it does let a bit (lot) of water in when it falls in the river,or gets rained on , it has had a load of modifications over the years.Zips bust and repaired.Straps replaced, etc etc, its a bit like triggers broom, 4 new handles and 3 new brush heads....oh, and it has that aroma of damp weigh slings and fish unhooking mats.There is the odd well hardened chrysalis in the creases and folds of the inner , together with the odd pellet, plus unidentified detritus.

I had never actually thought about the state of it . I started to think when I had bought it.
Back in 1994 or thereabouts, when we moved into this house, a work colleague gave me a rucksack for fishing, it was not an expensive one, one day I mananged to spill some glugs all over it, it stank, so SWMBO bunged it in the washing machine on hot, and melted it, she was a but apologetic so went out and bought me the above....

Its a Coarse anglers rucksack, not sure of the make as the logo wore off many years ago, I do know its 24 years old, and holds exactly what I need for a session on the river . It will be with me for a few more years yet..

So whats your oldest bit of regularly used fishing Luggage.. ( not counting vintage gear that some of us collect )

Dave

I use a rod sling that I bought from Fosters circa 1987 when he used to buy them from a local guy. It's had a couple of modifications and some extra velcro but is otherwise the original model. Perfect for what I want!

Back