• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How big is your burden?

Phew on the Trent it's a barrow fully loaded with a bivvy 2 buckets & various tackle boxes also a rucksack & a rod holdall..Oh & a defibrillator for Conrad if its a long walk :):D;)

Its no point having holdalls and chairs Rich is it when your running from SO14 even landing nets get in the way:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not anymore Stevie me old. I have a new roving set-up which allows me to walk miles without medical intervention. I shall be using it this weekend on a local river, one quiver, a lightweight chair that only weighs 2kg and a small shoulder bag that I picked up yesterday. On the Trent camping expeditions I'll stick to car park swims, they're pretty good anyway!

I have to cycle to my local stretch at the moment so I've got no choice but to carry as little as possible - I can fit everything I need into my rod sling and trusty old eastpack rucksack. I do miss having a chair to sit on though I must admit!

Not anymore Stevie me old. I have a new roving set-up which allows me to walk miles without medical intervention. I shall be using it this weekend on a local river, one quiver, a lightweight chair that only weighs 2kg and a small shoulder bag that I picked up yesterday. On the Trent camping expeditions I'll stick to car park swims, they're pretty good anyway!

That gym membership won't do you any harm too m8..now if you need a bit of personal training I'm free most evenings & would be only too glad to put you thru some nice easy routines :D:D

Graham it's a Daiwa mission low chair, it actually weighs 2.5 kg and is much more comfortable than it looks.

Great little chairs these for roving. I've attached a shoulder strap to mine. Also they fit on the Korum ruck bag if you leave the front legs up and attached the chair leg to the bag using velcro. They do get a little uncomfortable when sitting for more than an hour though. This is where your unhooking mat comes in handy. Mine is usually dry.
Also I would recommend the chub bits belt (new version). I've actually started using the belt instead of the ruckbag for roving sessions, as I found the ruckbag was too heavy. The three smallish pockets are ideal for leads, hooks, rig making kit. Then a much larger pocket, for scales, pva tube, bait etc.
The heaviest item I carry is the two rod quiver, which usually has room for a flask, umbrella, tripod in addition to the usual bits. Also has large pocket for bit's. Best bit of luggage out there imo.

its been a very interesting read this thread and an eye opener, i take more food than you lot take fishing gear.
i,ve been trying to lighten the load for ages and it just seems to be getting heavier. i seem to take the same amount of gear for a short session as i do for an all nighter and this season i,ve moved pegs 3 an 4 times in a session collapsing in a heap of sweat at every new peg, i think i,ll be having another serious sought out for the new season (no point starting now is there lol)
tight lines
jerry

I've got one of those 4x4 Golf Buggies and I don't know what I'd do without it...cracking bit of kit.

I have a gardner barbel rucksack, a bait bucket and 2 rods plus a net, thats all I take.

I sit on the bait bucket, bank sticks are in the rucksack
I could use a smaller rucksack if I wanted, but I usually stuff my jacket and flask in there too.
Unhooking mat is rolled up on the front of the rucksack.

Quick and simple, and easy to move if need be.

Spare bait and leads and my rod pod are left in the car, just in case.

Been looking at stalking belts but all the ones iv'e seen are too big for what i need. Want something that will hold 2 to 3 handfulls of pellets / 1/2 dozen made up pva bags / baiting needle and a couple of leads so i can have it round my waist and clamber down the bank with just the rod and net in hand.Any ideas.
graham

Graham, E.S.P Stalker Bait Pouch. Velcro's shut at the top (so non-spill), washable liner comes out of the main pocket and has a small front pocket for your bits. Adjustable belt strap with quick release clips. Great value at about £9. Very well made - had one for years and still going strong. Great for wading with maggots too - sling it round your neck when the water gets too deep for round the waist.

picture.php

ESP do another cheaper "Lightweight" one (not the "Stalker" one) but it isn't as good.

Last edited:
I've been using other ESP bum bag with the wired rim - bait in bags.

I've also got an Orvis sling pack ideal for all my river fishing when without a full lunch!

I always carry to much as most of my fishing is done static. Once I sorted out my feeders and leads though it took pounds out of my bag.
The only other items I carry a lot of now though is feed, pelletts and hemp. Trouble is I end up caryying a lot of it back again. Perhaps thats why I don't catch many!!!!!!

Paul

Hmm, anyone that's seen me traipsing along to a swim will know I don't exactly travel light. I'd love to try and be mobile but a long drive to the river means I usually stay the night so it's bedchair, bag, lightweight shelter, food, 2 days worth of water and a little bag of bait. Also carry more now having bought an slr camera.

I usually have to stay 2 days just to be able to face the walk back!

Back