• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooks - Nearly as dear as a Gallon

Why are as anglers happy to spends 100,s on rods n reels and we quibble about line and hooks...the most important items of tackle..this is not a dig in any way..just a generalisation..
Hooks are the most import item of tackle..IMHO

Luke

While I totally agree that hooks and line are the most important items of tackle involved in landing fish. Nobody on this thread is questioning that, just asking why we are being charged so much?

Well I say "we"
Remind me again who sponsors you and in doing so presumably provides you with plenty of freebies.

Luke, this is not a go at you but I do debate the impartiality of your opinion.

Last edited:
Yes your right..I don't pay rrp for hooks etc..
But i used to..and I used the same hook then as I do now..and if I had to pay rrp for the hooks I use,then I would...
You wouldn't put rubbish cheap tyres on racing car would you..because I wouldn't..
I not saying other hooks are cheap rubbish..
I know when I hook a big fish,the hook stays in and stays straight...
Tell me this..if a packet of hooks cost say £3.50 and that works out at 35p a hook..would you pay 35p for an 18lb+ barbel..
Bargain eh..once again this is just my humble opinion..
Luke

Does make you think, when I buy high quality hooks for fly tying, all produced to the same specifications, chemically sharpened etc, for boxes of fifty I pay less than the price for the average pack of ten "carp"hooks, a lot of these fly patterns make very good barbel hooks, checkout Tiemco, Kamasan or Fulling mill heavy grubber patterns, landed loads of decent fish with them including big barbel and salmon.
peter

Yes, Peter. I believe that John Walker and Chris Turnbull will remember my talking about fly-hook patterns for barbel on the old BFW.

I did not speak of the following, back then, however: that a lot of our barbel and carp hooks are nothing more than salmon-egg bait hooks for Pacific salmon and steelhead. In the mid 2000s some people I know bought 15,000 of each in sizes 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 of some no-name, short-shank, wide-gape, claw point, Teflon matt-finished, very strong, very sharp hooks that look uncannily like the hooks we all use, direct from a maker in Japan. I bought into the deal and had 1500 of each size, for mere pennies - sorted.

As an update on these hooks; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....336&var=640010300244&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT which I think are the Dogs Danglies and an absolute bargain.
The size 10 is more like a size 9, and conversely the 8 is a size 7, in comparison to an ESP D7, which was my standard hook of choice.
I tested the hooks against some scales, the size 8 D7 bent at 12.5lbs and remained slightly bent when the pressure was released. The Teflon Rapier bent at 14.5 lbs and went back to its normal shape. The wire seems to be the same size but i dont have a micrometer.
In use they were good and the Barb was easily pulled by hand from a fishes mouth, which is a bonus from some hooks that i have used.
So if your looking for a new hook at a very good price and don't want to pay through the nose, then these are the ones.

Jon

just tried the above hooks size 10s on a few barbel on tidel trent, did not get 1 big enough to do a strength test :( but i did get to test the whisker barb on 3 barbel & a dozen bream and 5 chub and i unhooked every fish with out the use of disgorger or forceps's and with jons strength test am very happy with them,used same hooks for 2 nights and they kept their sharp point ,thanks for the link jon saved me a few quid :)

I caught 2 doubles on mine the other day Mike, funny as you said the points staying sharp, my D7's generally suffer from a bent point, no probs with these and very sharp too. Anyone want some D7's going cheap???

great news on the doubles test jon:) i just need stop a couple of mad swale 8lbers diving for the snags n the tests are complete for me:D

Just had a delivery of some size 6 rapier hooks from your ebay link, first glance very impressed, nice wide gape, Sharp, and seem quite sharp, gonna do some bench testing and give em a go, cheers

Back