• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooking Maggots for Barbel

Struggling with this one a little. How do you hook yours?

Maggot clip? hair? threaded onto a separate piece of cotton and wrapped around the hook? Madusas Head on a cork ball?

I have been hooking directly onto a size 10/12 hook but it looks a little barbaric and presentation is a bit naff.

What works best for you? 🙂

I use a fine wire maggot clip, made from jewellers wire. A bit fiddly to make but works very well.
Having said that , I have had good results by using a wide gape size 16 hook, tied hair rig style to a size 8 or ten with the maggots on the size 16. You can thread a good number of maggots on the 16 , if barbless are the rule, after threading on the maggots, a smll flat piece of rubber band on the 16 keeps the maggots from wriggling off.

David.

If its a 12, 14 or 16. Thread the first one up like a caster. The next 1 or 2 maggots, nick on. Ideally cove the shank right up to the knot.
100% the way, the only comments I would suggest is I sometimes thread an artificial maggot up the shank instead of a live one and use fresh maggots.

Sizes 12-20 super spades depending on how many maggots you want to present. Hooklength for Barbel would be something like 0.19 or 0.21 Preston reflo, starting at 1m and lengthen if you’re struggling for bites, and shorten if you are missing them (more likely to be Dace or Chub than Barbel in this scenario) Hook them through the thick end if you’re using one or two, or the thin end if you’re using three or more (helps keep the hook point exposed).

I couldn't be faffed doing what the carping lads do with bait floss & threading them on etc. I have used a small straightened hook hair rigged in the past, & that deterred the small stuff.

Just can't find a decent braid that's thin/supple enough these days. I loved (I think it was called) the Drennan micro braid.

Any thoughts on a decent braid for thin diameter & suppleness guys?

I'm a bit out of touch on what's available now on braided hooklengths etc. 😊

I couldn't be faffed doing what the carping lads do with bait floss & threading them on etc. I have used a small straightened hook hair rigged in the past, & that deterred the small stuff.

Just can't find a decent braid that's thin/supple enough these days. I loved (I think it was called) the Drennan micro braid.

Any thoughts on a decent braid for thin diameter & suppleness guys?

I'm a bit out of touch on what's available now on braided hooklengths etc. 😊
If it is for hairs/threading baits what about fly tieing thread ? All different diameters, colours and materials - some are Kevlar (allegedly) and very strong.

I’ve got some very thin braid sold years ago by a company called Big Fish Adventure (the bloke behind it was called Howard Barkley). I think it is 6 and 10lb.

I’ve also got some old spools of light 10/15lb coated braid (Camfusion etc etc) the inner of those is pretty fine.

For modern stuff (combi rigs) I use Korda supernatural (18lb) or Gardner Trickster heavy (25lb I think).

If it is for hairs/threading baits what about fly tieing thread ? All different diameters, colours and materials - some are Kevlar (allegedly) and very strong.

I’ve got some very thin braid sold years ago by a company called Big Fish Adventure (the bloke behind it was called Howard Barkley). I think it is 6 and 10lb.

I’ve also got some old spools of light 10/15lb coated braid (Camfusion etc etc) the inner of those is pretty fine.

For modern stuff (combi rigs) I use Korda supernatural (18lb) or Gardner Trickster heavy (25lb I think).
I thought about popping over to the local fly fluff shop to see what's available there. I see they do quite a thin dia mono is it called froghair or something? I just need to head out and see what's available.

I use to use fox hair braid just for whipping lightweight stuff on, could easily just use cotton thread I guess if I were that desperate 😂

I thought about popping over to the local fly fluff shop to see what's available there. I see they do quite a thin dia mono is it called froghair or something? I just need to head out and see what's available.

I use to use fox hair braid just for whipping lightweight stuff on, could easily just use cotton thread I guess if I were that desperate 😂
Frog hair is just ano brand that claims to be thin for its breaking strain. I would choose Stroft in preference or one of the match coarse fishing hooklinks eg N-gauge.

Just a thought .....Abrasion resistance is directly proportional to the diameter of any given line (the thicker, the better/tougher). Combine that fact (and it is a fact) with another fact that, thin lines tend to stretch less than thin lines, then I reckon that you have to realistically weight up what advantage a thin line might (just might) give you, against the inherent weaknesses of relatively thin lines.

Back