• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook slipping

Chris Netto

I was tenching two weeks ago with Dave Thompson (used to be OTMO on the old BFW) and we were at Frencham Great Pond.

Now if anyof you have fished it, you will know it is best tackled with waders to assist with the long casts needed to get to deeper water.

Well we were both up to our knees and I was playing a small 3lb tench which happened to kite to the keepnet installed along the reeds. Well the little so and so dived downwards against the net ring and twisted and low and behold it slipped the hook transferring it to the net as we watched - took a fraction of a second!

I have often wondered how fish do it, still wondering - but I have seen it first hand now.

Anyone else witnessed similar?
Chris

Chris

Hope your well.

Agree with Paul. Chub, especially big ones, have the habit of finding that one single reed stem to transfer the hook into.
As an aside, I was asked to catch some eels for a friend late 60's. All the eels were between one and two and a half pounds and came from the Thames near Walton. From memory we had 16 fish and because they all appeared deep hooked we decided to sack them up and deal with the hooks in the morning light. Come morning we removed the eels from the sack and found not one eel had a hook. The hooks were all transfered into the mesh of the sack. Now how the hell did they do that because some of those hooks were well down?

The more I know the more I realise how little I know.

Mike

chub are masters at it, tench, now, they are masters of weeding up and losing the hook, leaving you wandering if the fish is still on.
i have no idea how, but, anyway, it's nice to hear a few tench are still in the big pond.

Have to agree with the general consensus that chub are the past masters at transfering the hook to any passing snag, but that said I fished Frensham extensively in the 70`s 80`s and 90`s and will concur that Frensham tench are quite adept at transfering the hook onto the reeds that surround the lake. Elsewhere, mainly on gravel pits, they weed themselves...solidly and stay there until something gives, generally something at the terminal end. If you give them slack they bury themselves deeper, pile on the pressure and generally it ends in tears.

Mic

Hi Mike,

I am well thank you and as usual you always have a great post. Thanks to all who joined in too.

The tench are still there although the biggest I had was just under 6lb, Dave had one 6-4 and we had bigger two years ago. My real success of the day was four perch of which the smallest was 1-4, two of 1-8 and one of 1-14 which is a PB by one ounce! I was sure it would go 2lb but no.

The smaller ones were just beautiful the larger one was a bit of a warrior.
Chris

hooks

Mike going slightly off key but maybe relevent is,
i used to work in a pie & eel shop as a youngster, the amount of hooks that were still in the eels was tremendous, all the hooks were long shanked eyed
things, maybe the length of the shank may help you chris, worth a try maybe:)....john

Back