• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook sharpener

Paul Hamer

I dont use one and never have done even when I did a lot of carp fishing, does anyone use one in barbel fishing or do you just change the hook when getting blunt. I always check my hook before every cast and change if needed. Can you get the hook has sharp has when come out of packet and if so which one do you use.

Paul - an essential item for Ribble barbel fishing unless you have deep pockets! I use a fox one and it's a great bit of kit, you can get your points even sharper than when they came out of the packet with a bit of practice.

Never used to bother on other rivers but that bedrock doesn't half blunt hooks quickly - now i feel lost without it. Was so impressed with it i bought 4 a few years ago, can't remember the exact name but it's a small flat double sided file with a green handle.

Paul - an essential item for Ribble barbel fishing unless you have deep pockets! I use a fox one and it's a great bit of kit, you can get your points even sharper than when they came out of the packet with a bit of practice.

Never used to bother on other rivers but that bedrock doesn't half blunt hooks quickly - now i feel lost without it. Was so impressed with it i bought 4 a few years ago, can't remember the exact name but it's a small flat double sided file with a green handle.

Cheers sir;)

I use the JAG sharpening stones and can usually get straight point hooks as sharp as they are new.
Not quite mastered hooks with inturned points.
Phil.W

I never bother, I had a sort out in my office a couple of weeks ago and found 80 packs of hooks I'd forgotten I had, all have been bought as casual purchases from tackle shop visits.
Madness, God only knows what is in the drawers in my tackle room.

I never bother, I had a sort out in my office a couple of weeks ago and found 80 packs of hooks I'd forgotten I had, all have been bought as casual purchases from tackle shop visits.
Madness, God only knows what is in the drawers in my tackle room.

I'm depressed now. I only have a section of the "garage" (applying the broadest possible definition) to store my stuff. Oh and the loft which contains some rods my wife doesn't know I own-from time to time I casually mention the spiders that reside there which makes it safe from her snooping. But you have an office AND a tackle room.

Howard, Ade is obviously very posh;) having an office for his tackle:eek: and too much money forgetting he had 80 odd packets of hooks:eek::D

Howard, Ade is obviously very posh;) having an office for his tackle:eek: and too much money forgetting he had 80 odd packets of hooks:eek::D

paul, we will have to keep an eye on the classifieds.........could work out cheaper than an hook sharpener.........:rolleyes: :D

I will not go without mine even though my hooks are cheaper than a cone of chips. If im waiting for a bite everything has got to be perfect i dont want to wait 4,8,12 hours for my hook sharpness to let me down!!

I nick the wife's disposable black emery boards, they do the job. I'm always losing things especially on roving days.

Try a fly fishing tackle shop or online. Fly anglers nearly all carry one especially if fishing rocky dam walls. Here is one source Airflo Diamond Hook Sharpener - Zingers, Nippers & Tools

Where I fish there are some snags which I think are sunken trees/branches from earlier floods and have noticed hook points getting turned over. A quick sharpen would probably save time compared to changing the hooklength and re-baiting.

Must get myself a new one, so thanks for the reminder.

I have got a Pegley Davies Hook sharpening stone which i use all the time. Had it over 40 years, saved me some money useing it. And keeps the hook nice and sharp.

Regards Ray Thorpe

I'm not posh, I'm just old (ish) and lazy. My office is what most people call the box room and my tackle room was my garage but its been taken over by tackle. The hooks have accumulated over ten years of feeling I have to buy something every time I go in a tackle shop and also being addicted to a bargain, if its in the bargain bucket at half price and it's something I'm likely to use I buy it.
20 of the packs were from a tackle shop which closed and sold off all their stock at at a few pence on the pound and were still in the brown paper bag in the bottom draw of the filing cabinet.
I sometimes get overwhelmed by the amount of junk I accumulate, and it's not just tackle, I bought 96 fashion umbrellas before Christmas because they were cheap intending to put them on ebay, they're still sat in two boxes in the corner of the office. My Mrs says that when I snuff it the funeral will be at 11 and the auction starts at 2.
Anyone want a brolley? A free pack of hooks for every purchaser.

Ralston diamond lap! About a quid each from the market. Chemically sharpened hooks are not sharp. A hook needs to cut its way in not wedge into the hole a needle point made. Hooks need an edge from the point to the barb.

Back