• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook sharpener

Jon Young

What hook sharpeners does anyone use? Iv got a Berkeley battery powered one Iv had for donkeys years which seems to be getting harder to use these days. Don’t know if it’s knackered or what. Isn’t the easiest thing to use anyway as you have to put the hook in the hole and kind of wiggle it about but I tend to just make the hook short and stubby with a sharp point and normally just sack the hook off and get a fresh one out

Very fine diamond file and a pair of forceps.
if it’s gonna take me longer than 30 seconds to get it lethally sharp it’s getting changed.

What hook sharpeners does anyone use? Iv got a Berkeley battery powered one Iv had for donkeys years which seems to be getting harder to use these days. Don’t know if it’s knackered or what. Isn’t the easiest thing to use anyway as you have to put the hook in the hole and kind of wiggle it about but I tend to just make the hook short and stubby with a sharp point and normally just sack the hook off and get a fresh one out
This is the type I've got Jon. Can't fault it. Not cheap but recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_160937.jpg
    IMG_20200830_160937.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20200830_161017.jpg
    IMG_20200830_161017.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 207
I use the fine diamond blade on my leathermam ,ideal for a couple of strokes to touch up , but if a hook point has turned it just gets binned and replaced .

David
They are awesome sharpening files. I used to take the screw out remove the file and sharpen the blades on the leatherman it self with it.

JAG - acquired when I bought a job lot of carp kit
Otherwise I doubt I would have shelled out for it.
clever , well made kit though
Only use the vice and diamond file and this gets my hooks sharp enough
I don’t use the red/ green files

Back