• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Homepage stunner

No idea what the rod is, but the reel looks like a Shimano DL-FA Baitrunner to me.

Nice fish Mike,
We may not have the biggest fish up here but at least they dont have names and most are in top condition.
Often fish like this have never seen a hook and the quality in this fish is typical.
We also have miles of under fished waters which may one day produce a whopper but anyone who appreciates the Northern climate, will understand how exceptional a 11lb fish is up North and the mysteries and legends that make Yorkshire fishing unique.
Well done and I do know what the rod is but I dont want Mike saying '' se ere you have seen me fishing with that lad'':)
Ken

Thanks for your kind comments chaps . Yes 11lb + fish are not common from the Yorkshire Ouse , only had six Ouse barbel over 11lb after many thousands of hours of fishing with a lot of blanking . As Ken says the fish has probably not seen many , if any hooks and was in beautiful condition . As for the gear , the reel is a new fangled Shimano and the rod a12 ft Fox XS duo 1.75 lb TC which is the most powerful rod in my arsenal . With 7or 8ft of water on on using a cane rod would have been folly , traditionalism can only go so far as cane rods are not made for chucking 4oz leads and great lumps of spam . The conditions were right , I chose the right swim and for once lady luck was on my side . It makes all those blanks worth the effort .

I too have the Fox so should have known what with the green blank, but anyway the Drennan is green too:rolleyes:

The Fox is my go anywhere rod, so versatile, and as you say has plenty of power when needed.

Once again, great fish.

Yep, it's a lovely fish and congratulations Mike. Six Ouse fish over 11lbs is impressive; if you don't mind me asking, what is the ratio of 11lbers to barbel over 10lbs - if that makes sense??

I am not sure of the Ratio Matt, but Mike has had many years more experience than me so he may have an idea (And has catch reports from some of us chaps on the Ouse) I feel the Ouse fished better last season for me and other anglers from what i have heard. I had a 10lb 1oz fish then 2 days later a 10lb 3oz fish and near the end of the season my dad had one at 10lb 4oz. Without electro-fishing a stretch who knows what specimens lurk in the depths of the Ouse. Thats what draws me back to this river, apart from the tranquility of coarse and abundance of nature on the riverbank :D

Dave

Yep, it's a lovely fish and congratulations Mike. Six Ouse fish over 11lbs is impressive; if you don't mind me asking, what is the ratio of 11lbers to barbel over 10lbs - if that makes sense??

Off the top of my head I think I have caught 12 double figure Barbel from the Yorkshire Ouse , 7 of them were over 11lb ,[ one of the 7 was a repeat capture] . A few years ago I did a catch survey of Approx 25 anglers who reported their seasons total of barbel from the Yorkshire Ouse , the average weight worked out approx 5lb 8oz , I think the survey was in 2007, I will check .Suffice to say that fish over 10 lb are uncommon . In my book a very good Ouse barbel is anything over 8lb . Fish of this size fight the best as well :D

Back