• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Home made bait dips

Chris Allcock

I'm Lookin to make my own bait dips, preferably smelly, oily ones. can any body give me any ideas? All answers appreciated thanks

If you want smelly get some rod hutchinson secret agent and add it to some grape seed oil or minamino. barbel do like it, but your better half wont.
atb, dave

Depends exactly what you want? The thick, clinging, semi clear type dips are usually on a glycerine base...that will take most flavours well.

The thinner, fishy types can be made utilising one of the Minamino type liquids as a base (Minamino was the original as I recall, but there are many similar liquids high in amino acids available now). Just add commercialy available liquid fish proteins, and other liquid foods etc. as you wish....most are shelf life.

Look at the stockists of such things, such as C.C.Moore, to see what is available. http://www.ccmoore.com/liquid-additives-c-11.html

Cheers, Dave

If you want real pong, buy some Belachen shrimp paste (original block form), then grate it and pound it up in some Nam Pla Thai fish sauce until it dissolves (pestle and mortar type job). You can then mix with Minamino or similar if you wish. Just don't do it in your kitchen...best to find someone you hate, and do it in theirs :D

Another plan that would work...to 250ml of the above, add 3 or 4 drops of garlic essential oil, shake well, then stroll up the bank of your favourite fishery with the lid off your mixture...within 10 minutes you will have your pick of swims, AND a superb dip to attract your fish :p

But you will be Billy no friends......:D

Cheers, Dave.

Belachen got me a slap and a temporary ban from the kitchen; I bet she can’t wait for me to start on rolling 40 kilos! :D

As David mentioned Nam Pla is a fantastic liquid, I have added it to glycerin and it works really well (just thickens it up a little)

Tom.

Massive fan of nam pla. I you want to thicken it add Watkin's Anchovy sauce, and garlic salt for good luck. I regularly get the bus home after fishing. people are very kind, and give me all the room I need, cramming themselves into the other end of the bus.
Shaun of the dead

Back