• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Holiday in Wiltshire

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,
The better half would like a weeks holiday somewhere near Salisbury and the pay off is that I can take my fishing gear. I do not know Wiltshire at all, so can anyone suggest a day ticket barbel venue within say 20 miles. Any details would be most welcome.
Thanks
Mike

There's the LAA stretch of the Avon at Britford, very close to Salisbury. Good advice from the bailiff too.
Pretty sure Ringwood club do day tickets and Christchurch. The Royalty isn't that far away either.
A local tackle shop should be able to help, Ringwood Tackle are quite helpful.

How far are you prepared to travel from Salisbury itself? There’s a free stretch of the Hants Avon in Amesbury that holds huge numbers of Grayling and good numbers for brownies. No Barbel though I don’t think. Heading north you have the Bath Avon or south the Hants one. I don’t know how your fixed but both the famous, Throop and Royality are both available on day tickets.

Bristol Avon at Lacock is 30 miles away also worth a visit if you like old villages.

The river at Britford, is an LAA day ticket water its ,just outside Salisbury,when i was a kid we would walk from Salisbury to Britford along the water meadows.There was a farm just up the road from the fishery and the house on the River ( fishery car park side) that used to be bed and breakfast .Britford is a quiet beautiful hamlet away from the stress of Salisbury but within sight of the Cathedral and if you can find accomodation suitable for your wife could be a good base. Maybe someone might know contact details .The Barbel fishing is not easy at Britford (not many)Stuart will point you in the right direction , if you ask.There are a couple of areas to target ,the fish are very green and not fished for much. If you can trot it can be magical for bites,chub,roach,grayling, trout etc.The Stour at muskliffe and Longham are free but busy.The Royalty and Throop are within reach,Maybe Google Ringwood and Christchurch tackle shops for up to date day ticket Info.The further down you go down both rivers the more reliable the Barbel fishing should be,but i will not be easy.

Day tickets for Throop which also includes the lower stour down to Tuckton bridge are £11, available from all local tackle shops.
Day tickets for Royalty are £12.50 if they haven't increased price available from Davis tackle.
PM me Mike if you require any information.

Back