• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hinders Elips Pellets

Now I don't get out as often as I used to Barbel fishing. Recently bought a pack of the Hinders Elips Pellets <LARGE> for a session on the Teme. Which I know having been a member of Worcestaer AC and fished the lower Teme many years ago, is not the same as years past. I just enjoy the remote, wild fishing to be found.
Now I know they've changed the shape... as being using them on/off for last 20 odd years. Was always happy with them and used to double up with superglue on a hair rig, after being shown by Chris Ponsford!
This time... despite having the same smell, very disappointed in the size and found difficult to hair rig!
Fancy a change!!
Has anyone tried the Barbel 5 Crab & Anchovey barrels by The Hookbait Company ?

Now I don't get out as often as I used to Barbel fishing. Recently bought a pack of the Hinders Elips Pellets <LARGE> for a session on the Teme. Which I know having been a member of Worcestaer AC and fished the lower Teme many years ago, is not the same as years past. I just enjoy the remote, wild fishing to be found.
Now I know they've changed the shape... as being using them on/off for last 20 odd years. Was always happy with them and used to double up with superglue on a hair rig, after being shown by Chris Ponsford!
This time... despite having the same smell, very disappointed in the size and found difficult to hair rig!
Fancy a change!!
Try mainline big river barbel range ...

Fancy a change!!
Steve. I've reported on the reduced size of the large on here. Also chatted to Hinders.

Frankly. Stopped using them.

I was a religious hinders elips user but they changed so much and the recipe / quality also . The hard dumbbells would split with even a fine bait needle . I knocked them on the head and went over to CCMOORE Pacific tuna range . It caught me plenty ...I'm now on mainline big river barbel range.

I just got some proper sized 10mm pellets but always add some flavour to them
I'm the same ...I buy pre-drilled 'base' pellets (Dynamite usually) ... and if I want to fish with "Elips" I just soak a few in proprietary Elips Oil, if I want Krill pellets I soak a few in Sticky Krill bait dip etc. That makes good sense to me.

I too am struggling with the large size, when how to best present them on the hook. Re the size, these pellets will come from the aquaculture industry, so hinders will have zero say on what size is available, they just buy direct and repackage them.

They are nothing like the original elips in both shape and ingredients, so I’m surprised they even still call them elips! Bit of a joke factor IMHO.

The original shape was just so easy to glue on the hair, side by side, which even included the small size. Two small original elips, glued on the hair, with a long 4’+ fluro hooklength and size 14 hook, caught me a lot of fish back in the day, when conditions were tough i.e low clear river and bright blue sky!

Last edited:
I was very happy with the large cylinder size, perfect for banding, however the size decreased markedly over a year or so ago and the shape was often distorted

They are more like 6- 8mm now and they simply dissolve too quickly and the band can slip off.

Fine for trotting with but no good for sitting around for a bite too long, especially with high water temps.

I did have a few conversations with Hinders, but they have no intention to change anything and as mentioned, the extrusion gear has changed.

Therefore so have I. There are multiple flavours around to make your standard, cheaper pellets a bit different.

Personally I only use them with the feeder, two pellets drilled on a size 8 hair, no superglue in sight !! They still catch plenty of fish for me. that's the largest bait I use, otherwise I go down to a single 6mm or 4mm when its low clear and hard.

Thanks guys for all your input.
Originally just thought it was me and 'age' that was effecting the sizing... glad you have the same thoughts.
Plenty to explore with your suggestions. Time for a change. Cheers

They do seem smaller Steve but they still catch me fish.
I just quickly score a shallow slot centered around a third of the pellets circumference with a penknife and hair rig it using a lasso rig,.. simple, works for me.😉

Personally I only use them with the feeder, two pellets drilled on a size 8 hair, no superglue in sight !! They still catch plenty of fish for me. that's the largest bait I use, otherwise I go down to a single 6mm or 4mm when its low clear and hard.
I once caught a 12lb Barbel on an elipse pellet superglued all over ( practically) to reduce small fish whittling it away so quickly. I know what you mean though Cliff! 🙂

Back