• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

High water temps and low flows - to fish or not to fish?

David Clewer

Senior Member & Supporter
My regular water is the Hants Avon. This is currently running at a water temp of just over 20c, having been over 22c a week or so ago. Mean Daily Flow data from the Knapp Mill site is showing this as being less than during the exceptional weather last summer. Salmon fishing has been suspended for over two weeks now (this happens when the water temp reaches 18c) and I am just becoming concerned about the welfare of the fish in what could be very stressful conditions.

Last year I barely fished at all between the opening day and September, which was the recommended advice of the Barbel Society in the extreme conditions of last summer. Should I stop fishing again this year?

Dave

They are personal decisions really Dave aren't they, but I think it's great that anglers think about any negative impact fishing in those kinds of temperatures might have on the fish.

The subject was covered quite, heavily is the word il use last year. The trouble is, not all rivers are the same, the way the Stour and Avon run are completely different despite being literally joined. So national recommendations are a bit broad, I saw the state of some of the rivers last year and some were virtually running backwards. The Stour was hot and low but it’s been far lower.

There are many factors that effect the recovery of a fish, oxygen is a large factor and that in itself has many other factors that effect it. Measurement of temperature and flow are good tools but they aren’t an o2 measurement. Equally is there a paper or reference that states that at X o2 content recovery of Barbel is affected? There has to be a point but if that’s unknown and we measure, what standard are we working to? If that’s unknown is the measurement valid?

Compare the Avon, which is running around 21c average peak daytime temp at present, (which is admittedly at the higher end of normal but isn’t abnormal) to the Wye. Currently the Wye is as far as I’m aware low and warm, it’s also experiencing an algae bloom which will have a significant impact of oxygen levels. We don’t have that issue, or as far as I’m aware any other compounding issues. The Avon as I’m sure you are aware isn’t a spate river, it’s a chalk stream fed from aquaifers so the level and flow is primarily impacted by the level here rather than like the Stour, a spate river who’s primary impact is rain fall (or should be anyway, that’s a different conversation) so there reaction to warm dry weather is quite different. It’s been suggested that the Avon is typically 2c cooler than the Stour.

The choice really is up to you as John says, make a reasonable assessment or the situation based on your experience, knowledge and evidence. I totally respect your concerns but there’s too many variables to just apply a national approach.

All in my opinion of corse. Sorry for the long reply but I wanted to be comprehensive and explain things to a point we’re they wouldn’t be misconstrued.

Last edited:
I was the subject of the debate last July. Yes the temps were high but I caught the Barbel in a well oxygenated swim just below a weir, no concerns at all regarding the welfare of the Barbel, which is always the main concern. There is never one rule to fit all, its a matter of common sense and experience that dertemines if you should fish.

Stephen (and all others),

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully, we may see some rain next week, along with cooler temperatures, which should help a bit. I was not seeking to start another national debate, as the conditions this year are more localised than last year's soaring temperatures and drought conditions, just seeking views on the appropriateness of targeting barbel in the Avon under these conditions. I will continue to monitor the level and temp and make a judgement before I venture out.

Dave

Well it’s looking good now so... I fished the H.Avon Wednesday night. In fact I fished the D.Stour on the lure rod Thursday and bagged up with small Perch and Jacks in great condition.

Back