• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hi to all

Garry Howell

Hi, new to forum, been away from barbel for to long, a couple of days on the Teme gave me the bug again.
Unfortunately I seem to be remembering the golden days when big catches were possible - most of my fishing was on the Lea at Kings Weir, catches of 20 fish a day weren't unusual.
I now live in Norfolk and appreciate that I will have to travel to find anything worth fishing for. I can get to Bedford and the Great Ouse in about an hour (enthusiastic driver) and would appreciate any advice on clubs/waters worth travellling to in this area.
I have looked the the Shefford club, they have their own waters and access to the IPA waters.
Thanks Garry

Welcome Garry, what a time to move to Norfolk and take up barbel fishing, eh... at a time when the otters have spoiled the best of the Wensum's barbel fishing. I don't think the situation is much better on the Gt Ouse mind. There are still a few barbel to be had on the Wensum with the odd low to mid-double still hanging on. The really big fish seem to have all gone nowadays and getting the right permits can be a problem but if you are prepared to put yourself out, it is still possible to locate a fish or two. And with the chub now being thinned out, the number of six's and sevens is growing all the time.

Thanks Chris - I have tried a few fisheries on the Wensum, a lot seem to be tied up by syndicates, interesting stretch behind Wensum Valley Golf Club, looks seriously under fished, a lot of big chub floating about no sign of barbel though - mind you was very low when I visited. Also heard talk of fish in the Little Ouse at Brandon, my late father caught some small ones about 5 years ago, should have a look as I am not far away.
The otters are a problem for all, I fished the Nunnery for a few years in Thetford and the carp are really suffering there. Still not a lot we can do - had them swimming past us bold as brass on the Teme!

Welcome Garry, what a time to move to Norfolk and take up barbel fishing, eh... at a time when the otters have spoiled the best of the Wensum's barbel fishing. I don't think the situation is much better on the Gt Ouse mind. There are still a few barbel to be had on the Wensum with the odd low to mid-double still hanging on. The really big fish seem to have all gone nowadays and getting the right permits can be a problem but if you are prepared to put yourself out, it is still possible to locate a fish or two. And with the chub now being thinned out, the number of six's and sevens is growing all the time.

Welcome along Garry!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Garry, have fun on the forum fella :D There are some seriously talented anglers on here, with a wealth of knowledge to share. Providing you avoid guys like me, you should do well :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back