• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hi attract single hook baits

Chris Thomson

Hi, just wondering if anyone here uses the carp anglers ploy in low temp conditions of using a overflavoured/high attract single hookbait? Im thinking if the water temp is below optimum feeding level of whether just a highly flavoured bait fished on its own had any merit in it ?

I've had good success with high attract single hookbaits during the summer / autumn months. However, I've found that after around November meat seems to be the more successful bait.

When recasting in these cold water conditions you can still smell the meat when you reel in but boilies and pellets don't give off the same level of scent as they do in the warmer conditions.

Just my experience on the low stock / bigger fish rivers I fish around the Thames area.

It might be my laptop, but I can't hear him very well, even with the sound turned right up. Same with his other vids on Youtube.

4x elips pellets in pairs, superglued on a hair dipped in Salmon oil. Got me out of trouble many a time, when scratching for a bite.

My magic bait is a Frolicks dog biscuit. They are circular with a hollow centre like a Polo mint. I break a piece off so it makes a 'C' shape, thread it on a 100mm latex band that is attached direct to the bend of the hook. They do two sizes. In winter a small one is preferred. In summer I stack up the larger ones. Two for chub and barbel. Three for carp and half a dozen for catfish.

Frolicks on hair 2_edited-1.jpg

I do a bit of pest control and they make excellent baits for rat and mouse traps too.

Attachments

• Frolicks on hair 1.jpg
    Frolicks on hair 1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 183
Back